Shiny gloss floor tiles- yes or no?

2»

Comments

• ackdaw
    ackdaw Posts: 1 Newbie
    judging by the fact that the dogs backend overtakes the front when she gets up speed cornering , id say get non slip , how ever the post man gets a extra two second start , im wondering if i should move the garden gate further down to path , fairs fair after all , and he wears trainers so he has the better grip ?
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi there
    my mum has shiny black/grey tiles on the floor (not her thing, but my brother fitted her kitchen whilst she was on holiday...so you cant complain :-).... she is in the house on her own most of the day..in slippers , but still ends up mopping 2-3 times a day.....rubber soles leave complete prints..not scuffs or anything...just a perfect image to mop off!!!!
    And my brother has been known to step into the kitchen in his socks and end up at the other end of the kitchen -without taking a step LOL

I think i would go for lighter shades....i know they show up muck but that doesnt appear as much as dust/fluffy bits from teatowels, dusters etc....
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • pinkwitch_2
    pinkwitch_2 Posts: 75
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Don't go for black,

I haven't got gloss ones but my black floor tiles are a nightmare.They constantly need cleaning, they show up all the dust.I mop everyday but i think they need mopping 3-4 times to keep them really clean.
  • mandyp_2
    mandyp_2 Posts: 44 Forumite
    I would love to get the really glossy floor tiles but I`m worried about them being very slippy. Can you get non-slip ones and if so where from?
  • elizw
    elizw Posts: 67 Forumite
    I also want shiny black tiles but not so sure now judging by some of the comments I have seen. I was wondering what make and style the ones are by Misgrace and professional landlord if they know
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    No pics any longer, sorry to say, but we had gloss black kitchen units, at our old house, with glossy tiles, too.

We chose the budget priced ones, in Wickes, but don't appear to be on their site, now.They were black, with light 'wispy' grey light pattern, or white & same pattern.

Hard to describe how we laid them out, but most the floor was white, with a few lines, of 4/5 balck. Sounds weird, but looked good. Certainly better than chessboard style!

& as I'm the house cleaner, they actually didn't look as dirty as they ought to have done.

What you ought to do though, is fit underfloor heating. That's something we should have done, 'cos it was a cold floor, all the time - even with a log burner in the kitchen!!

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/67229/Heating-Cooling/Electric-U-floor-Heating/Klima-Underfloor-Heating-Cable-System-9-to-15m

VB
  • We have shiny black floor tiles ,they look lovely .................for about 5mins ,after you have spent all day cleaning and buffing them up........we had the plinths tiled with long black glass tiles ,now that looks nice against the floor
  • kazd
    kazd Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    Pocelanosa cream shiny ceramic tiles in kitchen, breakfast room and utility. Still shiny after 7.5 years
    £2.00 Savers Club = £34.00 So Far

+ however may £2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz
  • Try the fabulous range of Elesgo high gloss floors !
  • I have black glossy ceramic tiles in my kitchen and I wouldn`t have them again. They do show footprints and have a few light scratches here and there but my main gripes are that they are very cold and very slippery. My son has fallen and hurt several times when coming in with wet shoes - even having wiped his feet well on the doormat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure