The Great Free Online Courses Hunt (merged)

Comments

• There are some really useful resources on here. Thanks to everyone that has posted.

I wondered if anyone had come across any free online Public Relations courses? I would like to have some formal PR training to cover strategy and planning.

I'm already working in PR but I don't have any academic qualifications in the subject, and studying for a CIPR certificate would cost me around £2700. I work for a charity so there's no way they have a training budget to cover this.

If anyone has come across any FREE PR courses, I would really like to hear about it. Thanks.
  • I don't know if anyone has mentioned the ALISON website before but it offers a range of free training courses. I am currently studying their Excel 2003 course and Introduction to Accounting. I have used Excel for many years but I am learning things I never knew before such as the IF and AVERAGE functions. I just thought I would pass it on in case anyone feels like having a go at something new:

http://alison.com/
  • purcel
    purcel Posts: 1,559
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks but already posted a few times :http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=294426&highlight=alison+courses&page=8
    Will request a merge!
  • Oh, pooh. I did a search for ALISON but it didn't come up. Thanks :)
  • Whilst i know this is an old thread, i thought i would add a comment on ALISON courses

Yes the COURSES are free, but as I found the hard way, after weeks of study, you have to pay to obtain your certificates, they wanted £115 for ONE from me!
    SO while i have put all that hard study and time into a diploma I have nothing to show for it
  • anji1979 wrote: »
    Just to add a comment on vision2learn. Your tutor is based at a college which may not be in your home town, so if your course is one which has an exam at the end of it then you may have to travel to that college to sit the exam.

I did an IT course with them a few years back and had to travel to the college which was 30 miles away. I dont know if this is still the case but I thought is was worth pointing out as some people may not have the means to travel.

After studying 3 of the courses through vision 2 learn, i can say for sure and put everybodies mind at rest that you DO NOT have to travel to the college for the exam. It is all done online using the moodle system which is very very easy to use. once you have done your assignments you just email it back to them and they mark it then return it if it needs resubmitting.

Ive enjoyed it all and would signpost anybody to it.
  • I personally would not recommend V2L to anyone sorry!

I was studying with them, but back in March of this year my father was diagnosed with Cancer, at the time we did not know how serious it was, it was later diagnosed as lvl 4 lung cancer, which had spread to his liver. I was his main carer until the end, he sadly passed away on 21st of September of this year. Also during that time I was sick myself.
    Because of that I was removed from both courses I was doing..if that is the level of compassion they give their students I am glad I am not studying with V2l anymore, there are other options!
  • evvkas
    evvkas Posts: 26 Forumite
    Website seems pretty legit, haven't actually tried it out myself, but I signed up and received an email saying I can start week 1 and planning to start next week

This course is from Quentin Pain, the founder of Accountz.com

All you need to do is sign up by giving your name and email address, you should then receive an email to confirm your subscription.

http://accountingforeveryone.com/the-free-guide/
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    They were talking on Bbc Breakfast this morning about some of the Uk top universities getting together and offering free online courses.
    I don't know how good they are but there are over 1000 subjects listed from computers to religion, crafts to gardening and everything in between.

http://www.freestudentcourses.co.uk/?p=610
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • karmaqween
    karmaqween Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2013 at 12:17PM
    I am learning free of charge my own way that blows these supposed free helps away, please let me explain.... These free courses, esp Vision To Learn and Learn Direct are extremely basic and offer no decent qualification. Do not get me wrong, they are great for those whom feel they need to practice and get back into a form of learning but, at the end, the most you will have gained is a level 2 Maths, English, I.T certificate.
    Levels 1 and 2, in most job potentials, will be of no value, a level 3 and 4 are required. To obtain a level 3, to which is still relatively basic a level in any career,(but, you are required at least a level 3 before obtaining a chance to further your studies in any career), it will cost, on average, £450-£600, this is the cheapest of any online course, to study on a campus, will be considerably more, any above level requires £600 and over.
    The Government only fund up to a level 2, which is not only infuriating it is, in all actuality, pointless. To do any free course, it is best to do for your own enjoyment and want, I just do not want people to have high hopes of a career prospect as I did initially.
    I have taken to doing voluntary placements (social care) instead and I am now saving for a payment plan to do an online course. I am, gaining the relevant experience for free, active and helping the community all in one go.
    I hope I have been of help here?.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport