We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Prickly spikes on cucumber?

I've got a marketmore cucumber which has about five cucumbers growing from it,getting bigger every day,but they have little prickly spikes growing on them :confused:

Is this normal??I've never grown cucumbers before so was quite surprised to find these prickly things on the cucumber.Will they disappear as the cucumbers grow bigger?

Comments

• robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    yes, once the cucumber has filled out along the whole length, cut it of and then rub over the little spikes, they will fall off

ive had 3 of my already, went away last week and come back to another 8..... woopee
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Only had one cuke of mine yet, but OH and kids said it was yummy (I'm not the biggest cuke fan). We had the little prickles and I was suprised as well lol. The things you learn when you grow your own :).

Got a second cuke on the way yay.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• KittyCat1
    KittyCat1 Posts: 307 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies.

Was getting worried as i've never seen that before on cucumbers,thought they were some kindof weird variety :rotfl:
  • tripod2000
    tripod2000 Posts: 58
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The supermarkets don't think we can handle prickly cucumbers so we only see the smooth, uniform, bland and tasteless varieties.
  • parsonswife8
    parsonswife8 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Ours also had little prickles.
    They just rub off if you run a sharp knife blade from top to bottom all around, before washing them.

;) Felines are my favourite ;)
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    I only have lots of what look like wee tiny cucumbers behind some nice yellow flowers. Do you think they will eventually get bigger? They are being very slooooooow!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    rosie383 wrote: »
    I only have lots of what look like wee tiny cucumbers behind some nice yellow flowers. Do you think they will eventually get bigger? They are being very slooooooow!

They certainly will, just give them time & water
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Trishh_2
    Trishh_2 Posts: 275
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My baby marketmore look like gherkins :rotfl:
    :beer:
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,848
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    'Ridge' (ie outdoor) cucumbers do tend to have small spines on them. Greenhouse ones don't.

The ones you buy in a supermarket will have been grown indors - hence no spines.

Hope that helps.
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 5 August 2009 at 9:26AM
    Trishh wrote: »
    My baby marketmore look like gherkins :rotfl:

Mine look like gherkins too! My o/h said exactly that the other day. And they have prickles - the cucumber, not my o/h :rotfl: Forget which variety they are tho - one that's good for containers I think. We've had a couple so far and they are delicious - as already said; taste totally different from the bland, pappy supermarket offerings.

I didn't know they had prickles either:o Amazing what you can learn - I love MSE! :money:

Sazzy xxx
    4 May 2010 <3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family