Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    shell69 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have just filled in my small claims court form and used the United address in Chicago - is this wrong then? I couldn't find a UK one.

Thanks

Yes. It has to be a UK address or it will be struck out. You may have just lost your application fee.
  • shell69_2
    shell69_2 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Vauban wrote: »
    Yes. It has to be a UK address or it will be struck out. You may have just lost your application fee.

Thanks for that - luckily I haven't posted it yet!! Will amend the details on the form.
  • V6Jim
    V6Jim Posts: 5 Forumite
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    So long as the delay was on your flight to the US and not back, and was not outside the airline's control, write to United Airlines at the following address: United House, Southern Perimeter Road, Heathrow Airport, Middlesex TW6 3LP

Just returned from San Francisco on United flight 901. Due to leave at 12.55pm (Local time SF). It was due to land at 07.10am (Following day UK time).

We boarded about 30 minutes late then sat on the stand at SFO for more than 2 hours due to a battery charging problem. We were pushed back at 3.49pm and finally left SFO at 4.16pm.

However, we actually landed at Heathrow at 10.09am and at (the wrong) gate at 10.29am. So 3hrs 19mins late.

There are lots of other irritating details I'll not bore you with here, but can I ask if I have any kind of claim?

I realise this is a US Airline, but the flight was into an EU airport.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jimmy
  • rob3770
    rob3770 Posts: 46
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi, we were delayed for 3 days due to, plane leaving late from the UK to get to us, then because the crew had worked too many hours, then there was a hurricane!!

Virgin have sent us a letter for a free return flight to any destination but trying to get a flight for my wife and myself to anywhere apart from NYC is proving very hard as they only have a very small number of seas for compensation customers.

Can we claim for the EU money instead even though these letters have been sent?

PS, the flight was the return leg from Cancun to Gatwick last June.

Cheers.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 August 2014 at 4:53AM
    V6Jim wrote: »
    I realise this is a US Airline, but the flight was into an EU airport.

With a non-EU airline the affected flight has to be departing from an EU airport to qualify

Departing EU airport - any carrier
    Departing outside EU for flight to EU - EU carriers only
    Departing outside EU for destination outside EU - no carriers
  • shell69_2
    Thanks for that - luckily I haven't posted it yet!! Will amend the details on the form.

Just thinking Vauban, I've sent all previous correspondence to the USA - basically filled in the online customer service form first, and then replied to whoever replied to me. I sent the NBA to the CEO of customer care and refunds in Chicago. Is this ok, or do I need to start the whole process again, going through the UK address.

Thanks for any advice you can offer
  • shell69_2
    Just thinking Vauban, I've sent all previous correspondence to the USA - basically filled in the online customer service form first, and then replied to whoever replied to me. I sent the NBA to the CEO of customer care and refunds in Chicago. Is this ok, or do I need to start the whole process again, going through the UK address.

Thanks for any advice you can offer

Anybody got any ideas on this - desperately want to post my envelope but want to make sure I've done the right thing

Thanks
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Anybody got any ideas on this - desperately want to post my envelope but want to make sure I've done the right thing

Thanks

If your NBA went to Chicago, and Chicago were dealing with the claim, then that's fine.
  • WPC123
    WPC123 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Telegraph today ........... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/11025583/Flight-delays-are-you-due-480.html

General advise on this forum is not to use the CAA.
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    there is a Flight Status box on the right hand side of the home page
    Sorry to be dim but I can't see it either. What do you mean by "the home page"?
    JJ
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure