Mystery shopper scam?

Just got this email....

Dear Applicant,
We are a company that conduct surveys and evaluate other companies. We get hired to go to other peoples companies and act like customers in order to know how the staffs are handling their services in relation to their customers. once we have a contract to do so, you would be directed to the company or outlet, and you would be given the funds you need to do the job(either purchase
things or require services), after which you would write a comment on the staffs activities and give a detailed record of your experience

Examples of details you would forward to us are
1) How long it took you to get services.
2) Smartness of the attendant
3)Customer service professionalism
4)Sometimes you might be required to upset the attendant, to see how they react to clients when they get tensed.

And we turn the information over to the company executives and they would carry out their own duties in improving there services.
Most companies employ our assistance when people give complains about their services, or when they feel there are needs for them to improve their customer service. Your Identity would be kept confidential as the job states (secret shopper) you would be paid 200 pounds for every duty you carry out, and bonus on your transportation allowance, and funds would be given to you if you have to dine as part of the duty. Your job will be to evaluate and comment on customer service in a wide variety of shops, stores, restaurant and services in your area.
No commitment is made on this job, and you would have flexible hours as it suits you. If you are interested do send in these information:

FULL NAME:
CONTACT ADDRESS:
CITY:
STATE:
Post-CODE:
TELEPHONE NUMBER:
MOBILE NUMBER:
EMAIL:
BANK NAME:

N:B. You will help us receive payment from some of our customers in your region in which you are entitled to 10% on each payment you receive in your account on our behalf.
So we can look at your distance from the locations which you have to put your service into, and your address would also be needed for your payments.

Thanks
Yours Sincerely
Nicolas bright
email:nicolasbright2008@yahoo.co.uk

I don't like the bit about receiving money in my bank account for them. Looks like a scam to me. Also - uses a Yahoo address. What do others think?

PS I am signed up with a couple of mystery shopper sites but have not recently applied/ registered for a new one.

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Bad grammer,bad spelling,bad punctuation.Hardly likely to be evaluating other peoples standards.
    Sounds like the 419 type scam( advance fee fraud)
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Could even be one of the money laundering ones, delete.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    That does sound like a scam - bad spelling and grammar and there is no way a MS assignment will pay £200 plus travelling etc!

Some MS companies do use hotmail, gmail etc., email addresses for people who work from home and do work for them. Don't discount all freebie email addresses as there are genuine people out there working for MS companies.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • titian10
    titian10 Posts: 28 Forumite
    i would't take a chance with this.
    delete it.
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Send it back with some false details?
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Agree with all the above, very bad spelling and grammar, would a genuine personal shopper be asked to deliberately wind up staff? I don't think so.

Payment of £200 per visit sounds way over the top too - if it paid that much I don't think they would be looking for new shoppers!
  • geo555
    geo555 Posts: 787 Forumite
    With all the bank phishing scams being sent out addressed to "Dear Bank Customer", most savvy people will recognise a scam. Giving all your details, they can be more convincing with them. Addressed personally, maybe a follow up phone call.
    Avoid at all cost.
    (".)
  • poker_face
    poker_face Posts: 267 Forumite
    Don't trust anything where the email is @yahoo.com or @hotmail.com or any free email, because if it was a real company they would have their own domain name. Also i know people who have done mystery shopping before and you have to register to do it, they dont just send out random emails.
    |Credit Card Debt Free|I'll bring you flowers in the pouring rain|
    :money:
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Shame they didn't go into a bit more detail about how you have to upset the attendant:
    "you may be required to poke the attendant in the eye to see if this tenses her,An extra fee may be payable.."
  • Steer clear.... this is a definate scam...... you will receive a fraudulant cheque apparantly from HMRC [Revenue & Customs] which is to be your start up money, then your first task as a mystery shopper will be to transfer funds.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure