gas v electric fires -which is most green and economical

Speaks 4 itself really - need a new fire got gas one currently but looking at options. Which is greener electricity or gas?
Is the greener option more expensive?
Any options I haven't thought of?

td x

Comments

• rjm2k1
    rjm2k1 Posts: 650 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Probably not much in it as the electricity is produced by burning gas or coal etc, though obviously there are greener feeds into the grid these days. Gas fires are better at heating imho.
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    You can get flueless gas fires with catalytic converters which just hang on the wall. These are sold as 100% efficient since no heat is lost through a flue.

They look quite smart too.
  • tr3mor wrote:
    You can get flueless gas fires with catalytic converters which just hang on the wall. These are sold as 100% efficient since no heat is lost through a flue.

They look quite smart too.

ooo that sound really good do you have a link or something that could help m,e out trying to find that type.

thanks
  • tr3mor
    My mother is getting one from a local shop.

A quick google brought up lots of results though... Click Here
  • LizEstelle
    LizEstelle Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Gas is a fossil fuel which adds immediately to CO2 emissions.

Using electricity (from the national grid) means that your supply is at least partly produced by renewables and nuclear.
  • Volcano
    Volcano Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    The catalyst doesn't last for ever and will need replacing, every 10 years I think it is. Whether people will remember to change it in 10 years time remains to be seen, the penalty for not doing so will be carbon monoxide pumped into the room.

Also be aware that without a flue, (and assuming the catalyst is working correctly) the fire will produce a lot of water vapour that will go directly into the air, if your house suffers from damp or/and condensation then this will get worse unless you increase ventilation.
  • rjm2k1
    rjm2k1 Posts: 650 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's interesting that they quote these as being 100% efficient, surely this can't be true due to the by-products created.
  • tr3mor
    rjm2k1 wrote:
    It's interesting that they quote these as being 100% efficient, surely this can't be true due to the by-products created.

The first thing I thought when I read this was "How can it be 100% efficient at producing heat? I can see the flames!".

I think the point they're trying to make is that you don't lose heat through a flue or chimney like you would in a conventional fire.
  • I would say buy gas just now. Remember if you buy one with a 'living flame' thing (looks like a coal fire), it uses a heap of gas. If you have it on for an hour maybe cost a £1, depending on how energy efficient, although to be fair I know !!!!!! all about these new flueless ones.

Electric IS more enviromentally friendly (just), but it will cost more, and also I doubt it would be as effective at the heating part.
  • Both the flueless gas and the electric will be 100% efficient

In terms of greeneess, burning the gas yourself at 100% efficiency must be greener than a power station burning the gas at 40% to 60% and then sending you the electricity (2% transmission losses)

Which is cheaper depend how much you pay per kWh for your gas and electricity
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure