Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

JSA and voluntary work

Am currently claiming JSA. Went for a position in a school last week but didn't get the post. It appears that the gap since I previously worked with children (7 years) was 'too great a hurdle for us to overcome'.

Anyhow, I mentioned when signing on yesterday that it might be a good idea to apply for some voluntary work in the school to help my job prospects (my CRB check is already underway). Was flabbergasted to hear that I couldn't 'unless its for a registered charity' - otherwise I could lose my money!

Ok - rules are rules. Shame for the school mind (I am a qualified teacher).
Question is - which charities can I approach to offer help that involves DIRECT ACCESS to children?

Lesley
'My father told me to go for it.
So I went for it. But it had gone.'

Comments

• Well, I think I knew that it was just an excuse really - after all, they could see the 'gap' quite clearly on my application form before they asked me in for an interview! And it wasn't a teaching post either! :(

Ho hum. Thanks for the support. :)
  • My son had his JSA stopped for doing Voluntary work for a well-known Christian charity over August Bank Holiday weekend!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • lamb7994
    lamb7994 Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The Department for work and pensions have agreed that people claiming JSA can do voluntary work which can be for charities or even helping a neighbour where i work which is for a charity managing their charity shops we were sent an information pack from dwp explaining the rules
    The jobcentre advisors are suppose to be promoting volunteering to try to help people claiming JSA get back into the owrk routine.

This is from their website:

I start voluntary work?
    (Voluntary work can be anything from being a good neighbour to working with charities or other organisations such as social services departments. Volunteers give their time without pay, but they may get reasonable expenses.)

You can do as much voluntary work as you like. Your JSA will not usually be affected as long as:

You are still looking for work as agreed with your adviser
    You can be contacted quickly if the chance of a job comes up, you are willing to go for an interview within 48 hours notice and able to start work within one week
    You do not receive any pay other than to pay for expenses like fares or special clothing you need for the voluntary work
    It is reasonable for the person or organisation you are doing the voluntary work for not to pay you.
    If it is unreasonable for them not to pay you, we will reduce your JSA by an amount you could expect to be paid for the work you are doing, even though you are not being paid

and also they announced people who claim benefits and volunteer can claim lunch costs back from the charity where as before it wasn't allowed:

New rules will mean people on benefits who volunteer will no longer have to bear the cost of their meals announced Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, John Hutton today.

Unlike childcare costs and special clothing, meal time costs have never been an expense that could be disregarded for benefits purposes when an individual is volunteering.

The change will mean that in future, meals will be treated as an expense that volunteers can claim back. Previously, they were expected to meet the cost of meals out of their benefits.

John Hutton said:

“This simplification of the rules is to ensure that volunteers are not penalised for doing the right thing. We do not want a situation where individuals are put off from volunteering because they can not afford to buy something to eat.

“Volunteering plays an important role in helping people off benefits and back into work. It gives them confidence and the chance to develop skills that are invaluable after a period out of work.

“We will be working closely with charities and volunteering organisations over the coming weeks and months to implement the changes quickly and smoothly as possible.

I am convinced this will help reassure and encourage more people to get involved with the voluntary sector.”

Dame Elisabeth Hoodless, Executive Director of CSV, the UK’s largest volunteering charity, said:

“Volunteers everywhere will welcome this development which will confirm the government’s commitment to involving volunteers from every background in their important work: raising children’s reading standards; protecting the environment; supporting hospital patients and strengthening communities nationwide. Every volunteer gives a unique gift of time and care and every one should be reimbursed for any costs they incur, including lunch.”

Both of these quotes are from the DWP website and Jobcentre plus website.

let me know if you need more help

James
  • "It is reasonable for the person or organisation you are doing the voluntary work for not to pay you."

This is the bit that has stopped me. Apparently my local primary school can afford to pay me for my time...
  • lamb7994
    lamb7994 Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My view is surely isn't it giving you more recent experience for you to be able to get a job?

James
  • GiveItBack
    GiveItBack Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    I think it's all a bit ridiculous, but in the mean time, have you tried, NSPCC if you're in England or Children 1st in Scotland? I'd also have a look at your local volunteer centre, as they should be able to keep things al neat with JSA too.
    for more info check out www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk . You'll find me there.
    New Year's Resolution: Post less unnecessary posts. (and that was 2007)

yes, I realise I may appear cold and heartless a lot of the time.
  • My son had his JSA stopped for doing Voluntary work for a well-known Christian charity over August Bank Holiday weekend!

It was a residential weekend, he got his accommodation and one meal a day paid for, the charity was Christian Aid.

It was from Thursday afternoon-Tuesday morning over the Bank Holiday. weekend He still got his benefit stopped.

This was in 2003.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Have you tried supply agencies? Where I am there is one in particular who keeps chasing me to offer me posts and I can tell you I have been a LOT longer than 7 years out of teaching!! Mind you might be a bit different as I was in secondary teaching and my main subject is Maths:rotfl:

Or try looking at support work in your nearest Uni as that seems to count as recent experience even if it is not actually 'teaching'. God knows how they figure that !
    Good luck and don't give up.;)
  • Am currently claiming JSA. Went for a position in a school last week but didn't get the post. It appears that the gap since I previously worked with children (7 years) was 'too great a hurdle for us to overcome'.

Anyhow, I mentioned when signing on yesterday that it might be a good idea to apply for some voluntary work in the school to help my job prospects (my CRB check is already underway). Was flabbergasted to hear that I couldn't 'unless its for a registered charity' - otherwise I could lose my money!

Ok - rules are rules. Shame for the school mind (I am a qualified teacher).
    Question is - which charities can I approach to offer help that involves DIRECT ACCESS to children?

Lesley

ok you can do voluntary work if you are still following jsa guidelines on seeking work.
    also you must be wiling to stop this toget work at short notice.

alos must be a charity
  • SkippyB
    SkippyB Posts: 99 Forumite
    I had this problem a number of years ago....I was threatened that I would recieve nothing and it got very heated. Although I only did my voluntary work at weekends or evenings, they stated that this meant I couldn't work. I stated that their statement was rubbish and I could do any hours at any time as I could change them. They were downright rude and nasty about it.

Eventually I wrote to my MP and got the backing from some very influential people. The people at the agency gave me a full apology and seemed very sheepish when they recieved a letter from the government.

I didnt even want to claim JSA but I thought, no, I have paid my taxes and I am entitled to it. I got work after 2 weeks but it was a matter of principle.

Volunteers are the backbone of society, when you lose those sort of people then society loses and it is about time that the jobsworths realised that.
    Happy to be Debt Free!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport