Train Journey with toddler

2»

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Thank you so much for all your help, particularly the map of Sheffield station - I hadn't even though out the hassle of changing platform with a pushchair!!

I've just booked my ticket with red spotted hanky, and no booking charge nor credit card fee which was fab. I decided just to book me a seat, because my son has been on a train once before (a steam train), and he insisted on sitting on my knee.

I didn't bother with the family rail card, as this is a one off train journey; I normally drive everywhere, but my OH is working until the 24th December, so I thought me and my son would go up and see my parents early, then my OH will drive up CHristmas day, and we'll travel back in the car with him. Saves having 2 cars up at my parents house, and the single train ticket is cheaper than the return petrol for a 320 round trip.

We'll be leaving the house at 7.30, then a 1 hour bus journey to our nearest station (Oxford), then a 2.5 hour train to Sheffield, then the second train journey is an hour.

So, er... what do I do if my son fills his nappy whilst on the train?! Do they have nappy changing facilities, as all I remember are tiny toilets hardly big enough for one!?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • mysk_girl
    mysk_girl Posts: 803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 November 2012 at 3:55PM
    Yes, the disabled loo has a changing table. I also live an hour from Oxford station on the bus! You'll be fine, mine love the journey :-)

Oxford is not difficult with a buggy, but I would leave a decent amount of time as if either of the lifts isn't working (happened to me twice) you have to leave the stations and walk all the way round the road and up the wee access road by the youth hostel to get to the northbound platform.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    mysk_girl wrote: »
    Yes, the disabled loo has a changing table. I also live an hour from Oxford station on the bus! You'll be fine, mine love the journey :-)

Oxford is not difficult with a buggy, but I would leave a decent amount of time as if either of the lifts isn't working (happened to me twice) you have to leave the stations and walk all the way round the road and up the wee access road by the youth hostel to get to the northbound platform.

Thankfully we'll have an hour from when the bus arrives to when the train leaves!

I think I'll probably lug him up and down the stair case in the pushchair rather than have to walk round, or even get in the lift! Not keen on lifts, and best avoided if possible!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • In that case, cross to northbound in plenty of time - it has a waiting room and coffee shop on that side as well, with changing facilities so you should be set. If you show the platform staff your seat reservation they will be able to give you an idea of where to stand so you are in the right place when the train stops.

It's an easy walk round, only takes a couple of minutes but you wouldn't want to do it if you were running late!
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Just a quick tip....stock up on kids comics in these few weeks before you travel. They invariably come with a plastic toy attached to the front and if you have 3 or 4 new ones, they will keep your toddler amused for a while at least. And they usually have colouring/scribble pages in them too.

Have a good journey!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family