Airline Credit Cards Discussion Area

Comments

• michaels wrote: »
    Looking on BA.com it seems that most longhaul are 50k (US, carib plus central US, South Africa) or more for far east and Aus.

Martin quotes a range of prices to buy additional miles - any idea why this is?

Also he talks about 'sales' for both buying flights and buying extra miles - anyone know anything about these?

Hi michaels,

The prices for buying miles on BMI and BA are tiered, so for example on BA it's £31 for 1,000 miles, and £175 for 10,000 miles.

With regards to the sales, the schemes sometimes run them for particular destinations when booking, or when buying miles they sometimes have promotions where they give say 20% extra on top.

Hope that helps,

MSE Alana
  • Hi folks,

I just want to mention that with the Virgin credit cards the free companion flight can only be used when purchasing a qualifying flight on Virgin (with the cards we mention in the guide you can use the companion flight when redeeming miles).

See here for the terms and conditions:
    http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/creditcard/termsandconditions/index.jsp

MSE Alana
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    A hidden issue in all of this is availability. Airlines often heavily restrict the availability of "free" and "upgrade" tickets. The extent to which they do this is rather opaque. People might be told the flight is "full" or offered to go on a waiting list.

All is not as it seems - certain "fare buckets" will have availability whilst others are full - eg whilst you might be told the flight is full when you try to get your free ticket/upgrade, you might still be able to book it if you pay the normal fare. Same applies for waiting lists where a further complication is that airlines will give priority to their frequent flyers.

Inventory management is a commercial secret, but is often discussed on the website I mentioned earlier in the thread. Certain routings are notoriously difficult to get - airlines generally don't want to "give away" tickets if they can fill the seats at full fare.

I rarely fly BA or Virgin. I have found BMI OK for redemption on other star alliance partners (between Europe and Asia) but only if I'm flexible on dates. My worst nightmare was with Air France when I tried to get a business class ticket between Paris and Saigon. All availability of airmile tickets was blocked for several months at a time.
  • There's a good promotion for Amex Preferred Rewards Gold Card.
    There's a huge discussion about it on FlyerTalk - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1074943-20-000-ba-miles-35-amex-gold-relaunch.html

It costs 95£ per annum but you can get it via Quidco and it will be £35. Then after getting 20K points exchangeable to miles, you can resign.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    From the article
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/airline-credit-cards#lloyds
    Current Introductory Offer

Apply via the Airmiles site* and if you're accepted you'll get a 1,500 mile voucher once you've spent £10 on the Amex. This can be combined with miles collected, yet when redeeming it you must book by 31 Aug 2011 and have one night in a hotel via Airmiles which isn't cheap. See the Free Airmiles Flight section of the credit card freebies guide for full info.

It may be worth pointing out that if you go to the Airmiles site via http://www.quidco.com/insurance-finance/finance/credit-cards/lloyds-tsb-airmiles-duo-credit-card-account/ to get the Airmiles credit card then theres £10 cashback available which nullifies the £10 spend requirement.
  • I've had a BMI Amex card for a while, and have amassed a load of airmiles. But the airmiles turn out to be practically useless! Every time I've tried to use them, the "taxes and fees" that BMI tacks on top (which consist of far more than just taxes), amount to more than the total fare available on other airlines, or even on BMI itself!

Example: I've just tried to book a roundtrip from London to Vienna. As well as the 9000 airmiles, BMI were going to charge me GBP 113 for "taxes and fees." Of course, taxes aren't anything like that much: I clicked on the link for an explanation and I found that almost have of that charge was a "fuel and insurance surcharge." Meanwhile, going through Expedia, I found the very same BMI flights - same date & time - selling for GBP 103 (total price, taxes and fees included). So paying the fare turns out to be cheaper than not paying the fare!!

This is an extreme example, but in several other cases I've found that BMI's "taxes and fees" are more expensive than the entire cost of a similar flight on a different airline.

Has anyone managed to use the points in such a way that it actually represents a real saving? If so, please tell me how!
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    I am no expert and we use American Airlines not BA but we used our points for transatlantic flights, we had to pay tax which came to just over £300 total for 4 of us in October half term, which is a real bargain. I think you may need to go longhaul to get better value?
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Hi, yes I have frequent flyer miles with American (and also with United and Delta), and I've used them in the past for domestic travel within the US.

US airlines, in my experience, charge you only the actual taxes when you redeem airmiles. Which, for domestic travel in the US, are next to nothing. So for example, NYC to the west coast, roundtrip, will cost 25,000 miles + $5.

BMI, on the other hand, adds both the taxes (which admittedly are much steeper in Europe), AND it's "fuel surcharge" which is often enormous, and which I think should be part of the fare. What's more, given what I've just found when I tried to book my Vienna flight, the tax + fuel surcharge supplement seems to be higher when booking with airmiles than when paying the fare.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    JJJBBB: It's not a case of bmi vs US airlines. In my experience, all European airlines' frequent flier plans charge the fuel surcharge on award tickets, as does Delta for their European members. This applies to BA, Virgin, KLM/Air France, Lufthansa etc etc. And airlines no longer offer 'free' tickets because they are not free. They usually talk about 'award' tickets.

I don't agree that bmi miles are useless. Like most schemes, they are best value when redeemed for business class or first class flights. They are arguably better value than BA, Virgin and the others because you can buy award tickets at half the miles cost plus a cash amount. This can lead to some amazingly favourable prices!

The only downside at the moment is that we are unsure what will happen to bmi's Diamond Club. Some suspect it will be swallowed up into Lufthansa's Miles&More in the next year or so.

I have several airline-linked credit cards. If I were starting afresh, I'd opt for the American Airlines AmEx card from MBNA. This offers 1.5 AA miles per £ with interesting opening offers. AA flight availability is pretty good and their surcharges for award flights are reasonable.
  • Roger1:

Yes, I agree that British airlines in general a far more stingy with their airmiles than US airlines. I gave up trying to accrue miles on BA because almost every ticket I ever bought was ineligible. By contrast, I don't think I've ever had a flight ineligible for airmile accrual on American, United or Delta, no matter how discounted the ticket was.

If you have any tips on how to spend BMI airmiles I'd be very grateful. I have heard that they're good for business-class travel, but I'm not really interested in that. Also, I'll rarely have enough miles, as I only accrue BMI miles through credit card spend. Any Star Alliance flights I take, I have the miles posted to my United MileagePlus account, because United miles are easy to spend and they don't add on fuel surcharges.

So far my only successful BMI redemption was for a one-way from London-Istanbul (on Turkish), where I ended up paying about GBP 49 in taxes and surcharges, which represented a small saving over the price of a one-way flight. At the time, BMI was generous in allowing redemption for one-way flights. But now all the US airmiles schemes allow this too.

Every other time I've tried, BMI's taxes and surcharges have either exceeded the total cost of buying a similar ticket on a different airline (or even, in the Vienna case, of buying the same ticket on BMI), or else the saving has been so small it didn't seem worth wasting the miles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure