Former_MSE_Dan
Former_MSE_Dan Posts: 1,593 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
edited 10 June 2010 at 4:03PM in Credit cards

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Credit Card Freebies Article

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

What to do

If you've spotted a new credit card freebie then please reply to this and tell us about it.

If you only have basic details of the freebie, great! Please tell us! However if you know then please include:
  • What the freebie is?
  • What you need do to qualify for it?
  • Is it generally available or only through a special link?
  • Any idea how long it's available for?
  • Any details on the interest rate of the card?
Former MSE team member

Comments

• I'm interested in the free flight to the USA with the Citibank's AAdvantage card. I know I have to spend £1000 before December 31st.

Q. Can I pay one months mortgage (I'm with the Abbey) using my new credit card? Is that a "purchase"?

Cheers

Adrian
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Great tip re BMI airmiles, but wouldn't it be better still to apply for the BMI Mastercard, which has the same 20,000 miles offer, but gives 2 miles for every £1 spend, rather than 1.5 miles?

Link:
    https://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/UKCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=5bmihpfee_ost&mc=BMI-RS-48390-48366
    koru
  • koru wrote:
    Great tip re BMI airmiles, but wouldn't it be better still to apply for the BMI Mastercard, which has the same 20,000 miles offer, but gives 2 miles for every £1 spend, rather than 1.5 miles?

Link:
    https://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/UKCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=5bmihpfee_ost&mc=BMI-RS-48390-48366

Hi Koru,

Unfortunately that card has a £60 annual fee, which cancels out any advantage from the better earning rate.

Thanks

Dan
    Former MSE team member
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Blimey, I didn't even check the fee, as I didn't know anyone still charged them. OK, I agree the classic is usually going to be the best.

I guess if you were intending to use the card to rack up lots of airmiles from your spending, there would come a point when it was worth paying the fee. I think Martin calculated that the value of the airmiles on the classic card is £1.19 per £100 spend. That's on the basis of 1.5 miles per £1 spend. So, if you get 2 miles per £, that's a value of £1.59 per £100 spend. If you spend£15000 on your card in a year, you would get an extra 7500 miles, worth an extra £60. Few of us spend more than £15,000 per year, but for those who do, it might be worth paying the £60 fee.
    koru
  • Here is our ranked table of Reward Cards, when we researched this earlier in the year.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1147870645,3979,

As you can see, the fee drops BMI well below BMI Classic - though its still not as bad as many other No Fee cards!
    Former MSE team member
  • *Chattie*
    *Chattie* Posts: 707 Forumite
    Interesting article, thanks for this one as I am looking for a new credit card for a balance transfer.
  • teeb
    teeb Posts: 392 Forumite
    If I sign up to the Amazon MasterCard via Rpoints, will I still get a £15 amazon voucher with first spend?
  • greenoak
    greenoak Posts: 205 Forumite
    Warning.

Amazon are not good at sending out the £15 reward.

I never got mine. I chased it up and they said it must have got stopped by spam filter, and no they would not send it again.

Lots of similar stories from other users
  • qaz
    qaz Posts: 63 Forumite
    how can they send payment by email.,..and anyway why would they not resend because it got filtered as spam ...oram i missing something
    mark
    greenoak wrote:
    Warning.

Amazon are not good at sending out the £15 reward.

I never got mine. I chased it up and they said it must have got stopped by spam filter, and no they would not send it again.

Lots of similar stories from other users
  • teeb
    teeb Posts: 392 Forumite
    qaz wrote:
    how can they send payment by email.,..and anyway why would they not resend because it got filtered as spam ...oram i missing something
    mark

Amazon would send the £15 voucher to your email. As the voucher for amazon is just a however-many-digit code to enter, it's emailed as that's quicker / more convenient / cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure