Great What/What Not to Buy at Lidl, Aldi and Netto Hunt

Comments

• Aldi
    - Booze!
    Especially badger's Creek red wine ( the white's pretty good too if they're still doing it at £2.99)

Continental cheeses - all the German ones plus Parmesan - fantastic price of £1.99, about half what you'd pay elsewhere. Try the Devine Feta in jars in oil and chillies etc or packets of Finest Antipasti feta in oil,herbs etc.

The part baked bread is excellent and cheap too and some of their wholemealy type bread is fab.

Don't forget the German and Italian vacuum packed hams, yummy and great value.

Bon appetit!
  • laney365
    laney365 Posts: 18 Forumite
    ALDI

Try the wine and spirits, a good range at reasonable prices. For everyday glug - try Baron St Jean at £2.49, a young wine (so I'm told) but a good all rounder and our friends regularly drink it (without knowing) and still visit!
  • All a matter of personal taste as they say, but,

Love the baked beans,tinned tomatoes,baby wipes, washing powder,dishwasher tablets,stollen cake,light bulbs,bottled beer,some of the wines,tinned fruit,mushy peas,fresh soup in the fridge dept.

Hate the tinned soups,bread.

Also bought a lap top approx year ago.Good value and still in perfect working order.

value for money store
  • A lot of the stuff sold in seasonal lines in Aldi and Lidl is the quality stuff from Germany; I assume they sell it cheap here because it's not well known.
    I always go in at Christmas and look at the biscuits and cakes. I got a gorgoeus decorated tin of Oblaten Lebkuchen from Nurnberg once, which is the real stuff and expensive to buy over there. Give as presents and look like you went to a Christmas market!
    My friends in Germany use Aldi a lot as it's the only shop in their village, and they swear by their red wine and sparkling wine (might be called Sekt).
    And I bought my mum and dad a meat slicing machine which they have used regularly for several years.
  • bfuk
    bfuk Posts: 24 Forumite
    Lidl:
    Great for....

Golden Sun Bourbon (just like Jack Daniels)
    Mini Jaffa Cakes.
    Candles
    Fish
    Prawns
    Cheese
    Bacon
    Tuna in olive oil

Not Great For..

Rolls
    Veg (unless you eat it swiftly)
  • Lidl BUY: Vanilla Ice Cream (has bits of vanilla in it and tastes great!)
  • Surprised no one has mentioned the malt whiskey at Lidl's - It's in a green box (usually empty so you need to ask for the actual bottle) 12yr old single malt. A bit peaty but not overly so. Great on it's own or also as a "Jock and Ginger" with some ginger beer or with coke. £12. :beer:
  • Also I'm ashamed to say I have no idea what the deal is with the trolleys - do you have to pay or is it just a deposit?
  • ciabatta from Aldi is good, also they have ham in a piece cooked it is excellent. Chocolate good. Shower cleaner is good as well
  • Also I'm ashamed to say I have no idea what the deal is with the trolleys - do you have to pay or is it just a deposit?

wow, you must be accustomed to posh supermarkets...! you're not alone, though - when i took my mum (who shops at waitrose - eek!) -- to morrison's she took the trolley back and lost my pound cos she didn't know it was supposed to come out again! so yes, it's a deposit. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure