PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning suede

Comments

• mazza245
    mazza245 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Thanks for your replies. I have bought one of those blocks and will have a go at them but I have already taken a layer off the suede by trying to brush them! It's a good idea to spray them afterwards to try and protect them as I can imagine they are going to get very grubby very quickly!
  • mazza245
    mazza245 Posts: 245 Forumite
    I tried the spray and the nubuck cleaner but when I put them on yesterday, I noticed they still look really grubby! I suppose I could try dying them darker, that way I would still be able to wear them. I thought someone might know of some clever old-fashioned way of cleaning them on this board, like with bicarb/vinegar or something. I have thought about just gently 'washing' them with some water with washing-up liquid in sponged on and then dabbing off with a towel? I suppose that could really ruin the suede though. Has anyone any clever ideas, please?
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    A rubber or, as a last resort... *white vinegar* :D you just knew it would come in somewhere didn't you.

See HERE
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you thought of dyeing them? It is a doddle. Get a bottle of suede dye and away you go. If a layer has come off are you sure thay are real suede?
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    If you cant get the suede clean, just go over them with shoe polish and you will then have lovely pink leather boots, not suede lol
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Sue7
    Sue7 Posts: 97 Forumite
    I had a suede jacket for christmas, the instructions say dryclean only but when i took the jacket to the dryleaners they wanted £38 to clean it!!!!! I would not mind but the jacket only cost £40.

Does anyone have any tips on how to clean suede without cleaning out my bank account.
    Sue
  • cardtart_2
    cardtart_2 Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    I used to clean my suede boots with steam and a brush,it brings the nap up.Also there is a suede shoe cleaning foam that you can buy from the supermarket but this might be a bit risky though..
    bye hoo
  • I have a very lovely pair of baby pink shoes that are half leather and half suede. I've had them for a couple of years now and they are not looking their best now! The suede in particular is rather grubby.

Does anyone know how I can clean them and get them back to looking smart, and pink!?

Kate
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Clarks do a little suede cleaning block for around £3. It's a block of weird crumbly stuff which you gently rub on the shoe and it magically rubs off the muck. I was very sceptical but it really does work.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think you hold suede over steam then rub gently with a just damp clean cloth:confused:
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills