Free Kids Stories To Download

matthewlynn
matthewlynn Posts: 4 Newbie
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 2 February 2016 at 12:55PM in Freebies (no spend required)
Why bother speding £10 or £15 on a storybook CD to keep the kids amused in the car. At www.storynory.com you can download free stories. Put them on your iPod, or burn them onto a CD. They are great quality and will cost you nothing.

Insert by Martin
(following posts lower down the discussion)
A quick note. This looks a very cute site and a freebie. It's worth noting the poster is also involved in the site and thus this is in fact advertising which breaks this sites rules. The poster should've declared an interest and asked permission. However on this occassion i have decided to allow the post to stay.

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Reported to abuse. You are not allowed to advertise your own website on this site.

quote.............

For all other enquires, ask for Bertie’s courtiers Matthew Lynn and Hugh Fraser on either of the numbers above.

Quoted from the rules of this site...............

ADVERTISING

This site is free from advertising. Posts on any board considered to be advertising goods, services and/or companies will be removed.

Examples of this can include anything from a specific sales post or a link to your own website in which you attempt to sell something to someone offering their holiday home to forum members. Unfortunately we cannot allow any advertising of any description no matter how honourable the intention.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • But it's free? They're not trying to sell anything, where's the harm?:confused:
    My mind not only wanders .......... sometimes it leaves completely
  • well ive used it and think its a great post, like said before, no harm done its free for gods sake! some people are so petty!
  • Rex_Mundi
    It's nothing to do with being petty. It's about liking this site the way it is without being plastered with adverts (like the majority of sites out there). It's about being able to trust that deals posted on the boards are a good deal, and they are not only posted to advertise a website. It's about reporting possible breaches of the rules so Abuse can take action if neccessary as they ask us to.

Martin owns the site and even he doesn't advertise on it even though hes fully entitled to if he wanted. How is it then OK for people to join the site for free just to use it as free advertising for their own site? The rules are pretty clear on this and they were written by Martin and the team. If they were ignored, this site would quickly lose its charactor and become just another site full of posts advertising peoples own sites. Many people say they love this site. The only way it carries on having this appeal is by the team keeping the rules enforced. They don't monitor all the posts, and this is why they ask us to report any posts that may not be following the rules. I've seen in the past on another forum what can happen when there is wholesale rule breaking. The forum changes charactor and becomes something else. I don't want to see this happening here.
    Fish
  • Are you for real?????? I'm glad he posted the site and I don't care whether it belongs to him, his wife or the neighbours dog. It's a site that provides a service FOR FREE and is doing NO HARM apart from giving us access to something useful. I could understand if he was advertising something we'd have to pay for but he isn't asking for money. Stop being such a spoilsport jobsworth.:rolleyes:
    My mind not only wanders .......... sometimes it leaves completely
  • I have found out about this site where you can download free stories in mp3 format. I am nothing to do with the site and I just think it is a good idea. Here is the link:

www.storynory.com

:D
  • Rex_Mundi
    Are you for real?????? I'm glad he posted the site and I don't care whether it belongs to him, his wife or the neighbours dog. It's a site that provides a service FOR FREE and is doing NO HARM apart from giving us access to something useful. I could understand if he was advertising something we'd have to pay for but he isn't asking for money. Stop being such a spoilsport jobsworth.:rolleyes:

Your inexperience of forums shows through big time in your post. You obviously haven't seen what can happen when the rules of a forum are ignored (or overlooked because they found it useful) by members. You may find this post useful (so you think that makes it OK), but does that mean that you will overlook the next post that may be breaking the rules. If I posted a free Ipod offer, it could be useful to a few people on the boards. It would be completely against the rules, but according to you, we shouldn't say anything because of the few people that find the post useful. If this is allowed to happen, believe me when I say that it won't take too long before the whole charactor of the boards change enough to make this site a different place.

I've been using message boards/forums for more years than I care to remember now. About 3 or 4 years ago, one of my favourite boards was locked to read only because of this type of attitude. This affected the majority of users just because a very small minority thought that it was OK to continually break and ignore the rules (they thought the posts were OK, so that makes it right to post/ignore them). This is a cr@p attitude.

You obviously don't realise all the work that is going on in the background that makes this site what it is. There is too much going on in the boards for the team to monitor all the time. This is why they ask us to report any posts that may be breaking the rules. If you are happy to ignore any posts that may break a rule, then fine. Do not moan at others because they don't hold the same laissez-faire attitude as you do.

If you had the nous to look at the date of my post, you would have realised that the team have probably looked at my complaint and decided the post was OK. This is what they are there for. They are ultimately the only ones that decide in the end (this doesn't make it wrong for us to report posts for them to look at). It used to be on this site that any link to a persons own site was banned if the site carried adverts. The site linked to in the post carries adverts (this used to be classed as a refferal). The info may be free, but, for the increased traffic the post generates, it also increases the chance of someone clicking an advert and earning the site owner money. I refer you to my previous post. If Martin doesn't advertise on this site, why is it OK for others (who joined for free) to do so?

PS...........My thanks was a mistake on my part. I meant to click quote (but I don't mind because I see how useful you have been in the past).
    Fish
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Well I think that it was a good post on the OP's part.
    As for Martin not advertising,his book has certainly been mentioned on this site as have his tv appearances .
    Another good site for free MP3's is Audiobooksforfree.com
    Nothing to do with me what so ever but yes I suppose this is a way of advertising as is any mention of a site not affiliated to this site.
  • Foxy
    Foxy Posts: 10,840 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    as this has already been reported to abuse

Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: While it’s easy to wander off-topic that often prevents newbies finding the information they want quickly and easily (please see this rule). Please keep this thread on topic. If you’d like to discuss non-MoneySaving related topics please continue your discussion in The MoneySavers Arms or Discussion Time. If you have any questions about this policy please email [email="%20abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/email].

regards

Foxy
    It is not what you give your friend, but what you are willing to give him that determines the quality of friendship. -- Mary Dixon Thayer
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is a difficult one. Rex is right though. Ultimately this is advertising your own site and doing so without declaring an interest. That goes against what this site is about. Had the user messaged one of the MSE team almost undoubtably permission would've been given.

While something is free, it effectively builds a business and a clientel allowing someone to sell other things. I am by no means saying that will happen here, but that we have 1000s of posts a day, exceptions to the rules will be made, but should be requested not assumed, otherwise the forums wobble and we have lots of problems.

I am happy to leave the post having seen it (and amended it). However i do wish the poster had gone through the correct format - i also ask the poster not to repeat the post elsewhere on the site. Now MoneySavers know about it they can choose to pass it on themselves.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport