PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Curry,or chicken pie with veg,my son-in-law makes a mean one with a few chicken breasts and pads it out with a tin of cream of chicken soup and some frozen mixed veg and a few chopped up mushrooms, a couple of sausages cooked and chopped up.He stir fried the lot and bunged it into a big pie dish and covered it with puff pastry it was delicious and looks just like the ones you get in a resteraunt with a big puffy lid.He made one last Friday night and it fed three adults and four hungry boys with some mashed potatos and carrots.Great way to feed the family with only three chopped up chicken breasts and a little inventiveness.DD and I were decorating her dining room at the time :):)
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    As it has changed state (raw to cooked) you can safely freeze

Ill merge this with freezing quick qs later

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    JackieO wrote: »
    Curry,or chicken pie with veg,my son-in-law makes a mean one with a few chicken breasts and pads it out with a tin of cream of chicken soup and some frozen mixed veg and a few chopped up mushrooms, a couple of sausages cooked and chopped up.He stir fried the lot and bunged it into a big pie dish and covered it with puff pastry it was delicious and looks just like the ones you get in a resteraunt with a big puffy lid.He made one last Friday night and it fed three adults and four hungry boys with some mashed potatos and carrots.Great way to feed the family with only three chopped up chicken breasts and a little inventiveness.DD and I were decorating her dining room at the time :):)

That sounds very tasty, will def try that soon:T
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • Hi everyone, hope your all warm and well.

just 2 questions.....

can I freeze chilli's?
    can I freeze hm sausage rolls?

thanks in advance x
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!
    JUST LOVES THE O/S BOARD
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes you can :)

I would slice and open freeze the chillis then pop them in a freezer bag so you can use as little or as much as you need.

I would wrap the sausage rolls individually (if they are large ones) so they don't get freezer burn or pop in a bag and get most of the air out :)

How on earth can you have sausage rolls to freeze?!!! They always get scoffed in no time here :D
  • mrs_baggins
    mrs_baggins Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i froze a load of chillis but was too lazy to chop them so have frozen them whole!
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,089 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I grow chillies then freeze them to use all year round. I just fill plastic freezer tubs & freeze them whole. When I want to use them, I find they chop better from frozen than they do if you try thawing them.
    Re sausage rolls.....yes, you can freeze them already cooked.....just done a boxful myself for Christmas, or you can get them to the stage where they're on the baking tray ready to go in, foil & freeze them like that, then when you want to eat them, take out, brush with eggy wash or milk & bake them. You need 5 mins or so longer to allow for them being frozen, but this works really wekk too & is good way to get ahead.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • cjez_2
    cjez_2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    I freeze chillis, ginger, herbs and lemons and limes. Chillis are easier to chop when frozen.
  • Can you cook frozen chicken breasts then re freeze them to be used in sandwiches, so they wont be re cooked, they'll be eaten cold?

I can only find answers about cooking frozen chicken then refreezing and cooking it. I didn't know if it's different if the chicken isn't going to be cooked again after freezing?
    :o I'm a money wasting expert. :o
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    LazyLizzie wrote: »
    Can you cook frozen chicken breasts then re freeze them to be used in sandwiches, so they wont be re cooked, they'll be eaten cold?

I can only find answers about cooking frozen chicken then refreezing and cooking it. I didn't know if it's different if the chicken isn't going to be cooked again after freezing?

Yes, you can and I've done this many times.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport