Good thick paint for covering marks in wall.

Hi everyone,

I've stripped all the wallpaper from the hall/stairs/landing and the walls aren't really great. I could re-wallpaper but it's a fairly big and awkward area. I've got a tub of filler for the main cracks and gouges but it still won't look right. Theres loads of small marks, scratches and dents that are too small to fill but will still definatley show up through paint :mad:

We don't have the money to replaster and are on a very tight budget. Is there a good thick kind of undercoat paint that will fill in some of these small marks? If so are they any good?

Thanks.
Even if you stumble, you're still moving forward.

Comments

• hazy_baby
    hazy_baby Posts: 72 Forumite
    Polycell Smooth Over Damaged Walls is brilliant. Its a filler you roll on the wall and smooth off with a spreader - its so easy. Its £25 a tub, and it goes quite far. I did my whole living room with this stuff and I swear by it. It fills in all the cracks, dents and holes and leaves a lovely finish. Its easy to sand too if you are a bit wobbly. Much cheaper than a plasterer!!!
    Debt Free as of 15/03/2010 :j
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    try this , it's v good and less than a fiver http://www.trade1st.co.uk/productdetail/Fine-Surface-Filler/515.aspx
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    If the surface isn't too bad and your looking for a good improvement but maybe not perfection I always use a coat of Polycell base coat when decorating. Its a heavy duty white paint (with a filler content) that smooths walls, and even if it doesn't fill slightly larger faults it softens the edges and makes them much less apparent. It can be rollered on, dries quick and you can use several coats for further improvment.

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/polycell_basecoat_complete.jsp
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • muskoka
    muskoka Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Paint that I've used before indoors (when you have walls that need to be washed/take abuse from kids maybe is smooth masonry paint. It lasts 'forever' and looks no different to standard emulsion and is a lot thicker so helps cover problems in walls.
  • Rather than any using any ready mixed filler I would go for Gyproc easifill.

After you have stripped the walls wash them down with soapy water to remove the paste, let them dry then lightly sand all over with 120 grit sandpaper (try to get aluminum oxide sandpaper on a roll rather than glasspaper in sheets), then apply the filler with a cualking board rather than a filling knife, most people fill holes with to much filler and never sand back fully, with a cualking board it will allow you to fill the walls without applying too much making it very easy to sand. sand walls again.

If you have applied a lot of filler because the walls where bad then dilute your first coat of paint to prime the walls, then apply a further 2 full coats
  • Melonade
    Melonade Posts: 747 Forumite
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll have a look into it and see which one would be best. Although I'm already tempted by the Polycell base coat sillygoose mentioned. I'm sick of sandpaper and really don't want to do it anymore :( so to just use the roller would be a huge relief :)
    Even if you stumble, you're still moving forward.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure