Gas cooker keeps cutting out - repair or replace?

We have a Stoves gas cooker which is about 10 years old. Recently we have had a problem whereby if you turn the oven down during cooking it goes off (of course you don't realise this until your guests arrive and you go to the oven to take out your nice long-slowcooked dish ....:mad:)

Is there anyone out there with enough knowledge of gas cookers to hazard a guess at the cause of this? Could it just be due to age or should we be getting someone in to repair it? I don't really want to spend what could be a deposit for a new one on an old crock unless I can get several more years out of it.

If we do decide to buy a new one, the one that appeals to me is the Cannon C60GCIK. Although it's £650 in Currys, Argos are selling it for £442 (£491 less 10% before 16th March) so we need to make a decision quickly! Does anyone have any experience of this cooker? I can't find much in the way of reviews for it.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks for reading! :)
Oh dear, here we go again.

Comments

• jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Update to OP - I've now found loads of reviews on the Cannon so if we have to replace that's the one it will be.

Still hoping someone can advise whether to repair or replace though!
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Could simply need a good clean, service and adjustment by a cooker qualified Gas Safe engineer.

What does the flame look like on the hob burners, still as big as before?

If not could be the govenor on the meter has stuck, or needs adjusting to supply the correct gas pressure.

Natioanl Grid will do this FOC.
  • jennyjelly
    Thanks for the reply gas4you.

The hob is fine, and the grill, it's just the oven that's become unreliable.

Do you think it's worth spending money on one of this age? I'm not really sure how long they are supposed to last!
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think gas4you is right. For a qualified person, its probably straightforward. I would hazard at a couple of hours work and a part. maybe £100 tops. Stoves is a decent brand, so maybe worth trying to extend its life.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • jennyjelly
    Thanks phill99. I've decided to get someone to come on Monday or Tuesday then if it's fixable well and good but if it's not I still have time to take advantage of Argos's 10% off.

Simples!
  • premkit
    premkit Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    clean the burner and all around. this will be the first thing the engineer will do.
    a lot of fat/oil clogs openings up.
  • jennyjelly
    I've poked around in the back of the oven floor and some of it seems to be inaccessible but I've cleaned as much of the burner as I can. I have to say it was disgustingly greasy and horrible, so maybe that's the problem. When I clean it I must admit I tend to do the bottom, sides and shelves and steer clear of the 'business' bits in case I touch something I shouldn't and cause a problem, so the burner bit hasn't ever really had a good clean. I'm embarrassed now!

So that I can test it tomorrow I'm cooking slow roasted leg of lamb which needs several hours on a very low heat. I'll make a point of turning it up and down several times and see what happens. I do hope it works, but at least the lamb won't spoil if it doesn't, and we still have Monday and Tuesday to get someone in.

Thanks for all the help.
  • dixie_dean_2
    dixie_dean_2 Posts: 1,812 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well? How goes it? This is like who killed archie all over again.
    And if, you know, your history...
  • jennyjelly
    Yay, it worked! :j Slow roast lamb on Sunday with not a glitch. Turned it up and down a few times during the afternoon to see, even turned it down to 2 at one point, and it didn't go out once.

I'm really embarrassed that I could let it get dirty enough to stop working! The rest of if was clean but the burner never was touched - now that I know I can clean it without doing any damage I'll make sure to include it every time I clean the rest from now on.

Just one more thing, don't know whether anybody can comment on this - where the wall meets the floor right behind the cooker the builders have left a gap and in blustery weather there is a bit of draught coming through it. DH reckons that when you turn the oven down the flame goes very small for a while and this draught would be enough to blow it out, so he has filled up the hole. Could this be something to do with it?

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your help, you've saved us the cost of a new oven! :beer:
  • Hi i have a diplomat cooker and even on a low heat the gas flames are high making it cut out any ideas?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure