PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning a fabric sofa with non-removable covers

Message posted on behalf of a friend:

I need cleaning advice...

My sofa and chairs are yucky, and really need a good clean...How do I do this? Have been shopping and thought maybe a carpet cleaner would do the job...however there weren't any carpet cleaners...only carpet deodorisers!!! So what do I use...really need it, they are disgusting and are grossing me out.

So, old stylers - any advice so I can look like a domestic goddess?
April 2006 - £9790.26dr. DFD - March 2011

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I was given a stinky old (their dogs loved it) sofa some time back. The only way I could sort it was to use vanish carpet and upholstery foam and a nail brush. Cost me best part of twenty five quid in the spray!

The cushions I did the grape treading trick in the bath.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • LouLou
    LouLou Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've got a similar query (sorry for hijacking) but my sofa is microfibre fabric. I've been told not to overwet it when cleaning as you can leave water marks. A few dirty patches remain though :(

Has anyone got some tips so I can give it a good clean?

Thanks. :)
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    LouLou wrote:
    I've got a similar query (sorry for hijacking) but my sofa is microfibre fabric. I've been told not to overwet it when cleaning as you can leave water marks. A few dirty patches remain though :(

Has anyone got some tips so I can give it a good clean?

Thanks. :)

If its just a few patches, why not try some baby wipes!!! They are excellent for getting rid of loads of marks!!!
    The only thing i can think of if you are cleaning the whole sofa is a proper sofa cleaner, looked in my handy hints book, and nothing there for sofas im afraid!!!!
  • Macnab
    Macnab Posts: 314 Forumite
    hire a steam cleaner and steam clean it - will look like new
  • mine are not removable either & I do think they need a clean. a-hem :o

So shall so that. Although i do have to hire a steam cleaner soon cos the carpets are manky!

Lisa
    MoneyBox savings £30.37 (10/05/06)
    Now at................£54.50(07/06/06)

:j :j :j :beer: :beer: :T

Bank account RBS in the black

Bank account Lloyds in the RED :mad:
  • I picked up a fantastic Laura Ashley Sofa from my local charity shop for £150 it retails at £1500.

Fantastic condition but as it is a pale fabric it does get grubby.

Tried all the sprays etc but found the best thing is to dissolve some washing powder in warm water and give it a good rub that way.

But you should do a test sample first.
  • 1 part washing-up liquid to 4 parts water. Whisk it up like crazy until you have lots of 'dry suds'. Use a spatula or something like that to spread the dry suds on the upholstery, then scrub away at the grime with a squeezed-dry cloth. If you rinse out your cloth to have another go at it, make sure you squeeze it right out each time.

As always, *do a patch test first*, and it may need a couple of applications. I found this on the 'net somewhere when I wanted to clean up an old armchair I was donating to a charity shop. None of my usual cleaners worked very well, but this one gave surprisingly good results - and it's cheap! As long as you use the suds only, it shouldn't leave water marks.

Edited to Add: this won't neccesarily get rid of any smell though (though it may carry the washing-up liquid scent for a couple of days!), so you may want to use some sort of deodoriser as well, once it's clean. :j
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742 :j
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    well it won't get rid of the dirt but if you have smelly fabric, curtains, carpets etc i can't recommend fabreeze highly enough!
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    Hi :)
    We have just been given a 3 piece suite (for free yay!). The trouble is that is stinks of cigarettes (and the lady's perfume..) and now so does the whole house. I used half a bottle of frebreeze on it last night but it hasn't made much difference - do I just need to use more? Would steam cleaning it work? Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    Its such a great sofa but my house is just horrible at the moment :(
    I have searched the indexed thread but can't find the answer so any advice would be really really appreciated :)
    Many thanks
    Sharra
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Sharra :)

Do you have or have access to a steam cleaner? Is the sofa fabric? I'm assuming it is as you haven't said it's leather. If you can get a steam cleaner, then give it a go.

Otherwise, depending on what you can lay your hands on, this is what I'd do. I have a vax carpet shampooer with an upholstery attachment, so I'd clean the whole thing - not only will the smell go but at least you'll know it's clean. You may want to consider hiring one (and you can do your carpets at the same time :D)

You could try rubbing dry bicarb of soda into it, leaving for a couple of hours and vac'ing really well - that's a good deodouriser.

My only other suggestion would be to get a bowl of warm water with a bit of vinegar in. Get a clean cloth and make sure it is wrung out well and wipe over the sofa. The vinegar will get rid of the smell - certainly from the top layers.

However, the smell is likely to have permeated throughout the whole sofa so once you've cleaned it as well as you can, you are going to have to wait for the smell to go :( I once bought a piece of furniture and even after washing with vinegar, it still smelt, and it was 3 weeks before the smell went. It does make your house not feel like your own, IYKWIM, doesn't it.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport