mobile carer - petrol allowance help

2»

Comments

• real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    BenD wrote: »
    I am PAYE but use my own car for business use.
    I get 15p per mile.
    So I can claim back the tax up2 40p (22% of)?
    How do I prove this to on the form as I give my milage and receipts to my employer?

Any1 got a link to the 'form'?

Also does this mean I can claim back for my work stuff like shirts?
    Wud I need proof of purchase for these?

Thanks for ur help ppl;)

For a record of your mileage, just use the details on your wage slip (if that's where it's shown) as a record.
    Revenue have a form to claim it back, fill it in and send copies of the wage slips.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    The form you need to complete is a P87. You claim at 40p per mile for the first 10,000 miles then 25p per mile after that. If your employer pays you mileage, you claim for the balance, i.e if they pay you 20p per mile, you claim 20p per mile on the P87.
  • donnalove
    donnalove Posts: 574 Forumite
    heres hoping that mr brown increases the rates as with increase in petrol we as voluntry workers and u as carers are making a loss
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    I don't see that happening seeing as it's basically remained the same for a decade.
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Hmm, maybe someone needs to point out that it is in effect a stealth tax increase??
  • Hi there,
    I need help!!

Last year in April 2007, i started working for a caring agency, which was community work.

The company informed me that they do not pay for expences, such as mobile phone bills and petrol and are accurred during working, and that in April will claim it back via the tax man and all expenses would be returned to us in full.

I was travelling to various town, and doing lots of mile each day in my car. If anything happened we were contracted to ring the supervisors to inform them.

I left for Maternity Leave in November 2007, and my expenses totalled nearly £900.

I sent off the form to the tax man to get my money back for all my expences, however i then recieved a letter back from them stating that as i paid no tax in 2006/2007 that i would not be recieving any of this money back?!?

Is this right? I paid for that petrol and them phone bills out of my pocket.

Should the company itself not have to pay towards it or something, it disgusting that i was paid £6 an hour, yet i probably spent more than half of this on petrol.

Can i do anything now?
  • Hi there, I too in a similar situation with tax! I'm a full time student working in the summer holidays, and as a result I do not have to pay tax below around £7400 (I will earn nowhere near that). The company does not have a petrol allowance full stop, and so I would be fully reliant upon claiming it back via the p87. I doubt very much I will get anything as I am not paying any tax, only NI. Anyone know any more info, or is it a case of pay it out of my own pocket and that is that..?
    Thanks
  • Healthcarer60
    Healthcarer60 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 13 September 2012 at 3:45PM
    I started working for a private healthcare company who pay me 17 pence per mile, but I have not paid any tax due to only working about 20 hours per week.
    If you dont pay tax then you can not get a tax rebate to cover your expences its unfair but thats the way it goes.
    If you do get a tax rebate it can either be a lump sum or you pay less tax the following year.
    There are a lot of company's who do pay mileage allowance so I would ask these questions at your job interviews.
  • meemo38
    meemo38 Posts: 228 Forumite
    I have had an interview today and was told if i got the job i would get 15p per mile......that's rubbish considering the price of diesel, although she did say they try to keep you in the same area so less travelling.
    I will only be part time so wont be paying tax either so cannot claim the extra back:mad:
    And i thought another company who pay 20p was bad!!!!
    Also i have been told the checks they do will cost just over £60, is this the norm as i have only ever seen it state £44??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure