Job Seekers Allowance - Entitlement?

Sorry if this has been answered before.

At 40 years old, I packed in the only job I've ever had due to it getting too stressful and just not enjoying it anymore. This was 5 weeks ago. I'm intending getting a 'regular' job, say in admin, rather than in I.T. as previously.

I have a few tens of thousands of savings and have just paid off my mortgage. I live alone and have no dependents.

I went into the job centre and told them the above. I said I presume I can't claim anything due to having resigned and having savings, and she said it was very unlikely. Thus, I didn't sign anything, and they didn't take any details at all.

Someone has mentioned to me that the first 6 months is paid based on N.I. contributions, rather than means testing. I wasn't aware of this, but doesn't the fact that I voluntarily left my job mean that I couldn't claim anyway? Therefore, can't claim first 6 months due to having resigned, can't claim afterwards due to means testing?

To be honest I'd feel somewhat uncomfortable claiming anyway, but if I'm entitled I guess I should.

Anyone know the position?

Thanks in advance.
Nice to save.

Comments

• shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Nemo wrote: »
    Someone has mentioned to me that the first 6 months is paid based on N.I. contributions, rather than means testing. I wasn't aware of this, but doesn't the fact that I voluntarily left my job mean that I couldn't claim anyway? Therefore, can't claim first 6 months due to having resigned, can't claim afterwards due to means testing?

Its been awhile since I claimed so rules might have changed but my understanding is.....You can claim JSA based on your NI contributions, this is called contribution based and isn't means tested. You can get that for 6 months but after that you switch to income based which is means tested. I believe though that to get either you can't have left a job voluntarily without a very good reason.....i.e stress/depression which you have seen your GP for.
    If you just left a job voluntarily they may impose a sanction of a few weeks before you can claim.

As I said, its been awhile since I claimed and I might be totally wrong. Then again I might be right :D
    I would put a claim in for contribution based anyway. The worse that can happen is you get declined.

Also I would ask about signing on to continue getting your NI paid at the very least.

Good Luck
  • diddlydum
    diddlydum Posts: 209 Forumite
    I'd need to check the rules on capital for contributions-based JSA, I'm fairly sure it has no effect but I wouldn't want to be wrong. Resigning from your job doesn't automatically stop you receiving JSA.

If you left because of ill-health, or because you were forced out of your job because of bullying, you may still be able to claim.

Resigning doesn't prevent you claiming, your claim would be "sanctioned" (i.e. you wouldn't receive anything) if you left work voluntarily. The decision is discretionary, though, and the decision maker can decide that you didn't leave voluntarily. You might have to appeal to get the decision, though, and if you're in two minds about claiming it's something to consider.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

-Terry Pratchett.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Just to confirm that capital has no effect on Contribution based JSA.Also if you did claim and were sanctioned it could be anywhere between 2 and 26 weeks, if you can show good cause for leaving you may not be sanctioned at all and as said it is appealable to an Independent Tribunal. The more detail you can give as to why you left the better the decision you are likely to receive.
  • Nemo
    Nemo Posts: 189 Forumite
    Having never been out of work before, this is all new to me. Even if I think I can't put a claim in, should I have officially registered somehow as being unemployed?

When I went to the job centre, I was told I probably couldn't claim, here's a phone no. if you want to try, basically on your way. No details taken at all.

I'm just wondering if say 6 months down the line, if I said I've been out of work for 6 months, they might say 'We don't have any details, you're unemployed only as of today' sort of thing.
    Nice to save.
  • shelly
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Nemo wrote: »
    Having never been out of work before, this is all new to me. Even if I think I can't put a claim in, should I have officially registered somehow as being unemployed?

When I went to the job centre, I was told I probably couldn't claim, here's a phone no. if you want to try, basically on your way. No details taken at all.

I'm just wondering if say 6 months down the line, if I said I've been out of work for 6 months, they might say 'We don't have any details, you're unemployed only as of today' sort of thing.

I'd still put a claim in now. If they say again you probably won't get anything I'd say that you want to make a claim and see and also that way you can sign every 2 weeks for your NI conts to be paid.

Also if a claim is accepted they rarely backdate it to the day you were unemployed from, it will start from the day you claimed.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Also, even if you don't get any money, signing on as unemployed will protect your State Pension as your NI contributions will be credited, so it is still worth doing.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • healy
    First Anniversary
    Contribution based JSA is affected by a pension of over £50 per week, I did not mention it in this instance because it was not relevant.The lower earnings limit is not £9000.The latest tax year would not be a relevant year for this benefit.I think you should take your own advice because you are posting incorrect infromation.
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If when you make a claim you produce a letter from the Doctor stating that your job was making you ill it may go in your favour when they consider whether to sanction you. I don't know if this has been reversed again but it used to be that whilst they made up their minds, you got paid if you had enough NI conts. In the old days they made you wait anyway and if they decided NOT to sanction you they would pay you all the arrears, but if they decided that a sanction is appropriate they stop your claim for a certain period. It is not often that it is for the full 26 weeks.

I left my job due to having my baby and didn't go back as I was breastfeeding and didn't want to travel 60 miles per day which took hours (travelling into London). They paid whilst they made their decison and then decided that I had a valid reason to leave and so didn't sanction me.
  • healy
    First Anniversary
    Thank you for the sarcastic apology, but is not necessary. It is not a question of having a go, but about giving correct information. You started off by being critical of others and then went on to make a number of errors your self which I pointed out. I think it is important to give correct information as I am sure others do. If you are so sensitive and you real life is so cool feel free to go back there.
  • shelly
    Combo Breaker First Post
    jfdi wrote: »
    Sorry for trying to help, OP - won't bother any more, I'll just go back to my real life. :cool:

Thats all we were trying to do and you told us not to post if we weren't 100% sure of facts. When someone points out the same to you you think they are getting at you?!?!?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure