Contribution Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)

Treder
Treder Posts: 15 Forumite
edited 12 July 2009 at 6:04PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi,

Have an interview with Jobcentreplus tomorrow. I know I am entitled to claim Contribution Based JSA (looking for work, was made redunant, not working over 16 hours a week, am over 18). However, they are going to ask me to supply evidence of my bank statements and savings etc. As this type of JSA is not means tested (as opposed to Income Based JSA) does anyone have a site I can use to print off evidence to give to them to show that I am not obliged to provide exact details of my total savings. I'd like to go there prepared with some information as I am definitely going to refuse to tell them how much I've got. All advice very much appreciated.

:o

Comments

• costaerer
    costaerer Posts: 648 Forumite
    i claimed means tested and i didnt have to show them bank statements.
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Treder wrote: »
    Hi,

Have an interview with Jobcentreplus tomorrow. I know I am entitled to claim Contribution Based JSA (looking for work, was made redunant, not working over 16 hours a week, am over 18). However, they are going to ask me to supply evidence of my bank statements and savings etc. As this type of JSA is not means tested (as opposed to Income Based JSA) does anyone have a site I can use to print off evidence to give to them to show that I am not obliged to provide exact details of my total savings. I'd like to go there prepared with some information as I am definitely going to refuse to tell them how much I've got. All advice very much appreciated.

I dont see why they would ask that question if you indicate at the start that you arent interested in claiming the Income Related part. You can have a million pounds in the bank and get JSSA(C).
  • hayley11
    hayley11 Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would go to the appointment without the bank statements, it looks like whoever told you to take them made a mistake.

Don't not go because of this because it'll just hold your claim up.
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
  • Treder
    I agree. I told them during my hour long! phone call that I am not entitled to Income Based JSA and do not want to claim it yet they still insisted on asking loads of information about not only my savings but also my partner's which really irked me. When i refused to be specific about my savings, the lady on the telephone said "well how much over £16,000 - £1000?" What a joke! I said it made no difference if i had £100K or £17K to her. I am ready for a battle tomorrow when I got to the Jobcentre. I really appreciate your replies. If there is any more advice all will be much appreciated.
  • hayley11
    hayley11 Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't go in with that attitude - "ready for battle" - it seems the lady you spoke to had a bit of an attitude and didn't know what she was talking about but the person you see tomorrow may be perfectly nice and reasonable. :)
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
  • dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Hi,

In order for your claim to be valid, you must present all requested evidence requirements within 30 days of the date on which you notified your intention to claim.

You have been requested to provide your bank statements, should you not then the claim will be defective.
  • Treder
    dookar wrote: »
    In order for your claim to be valid, you must present all requested evidence requirements within 30 days of the date on which you notified your intention to claim.

You have been requested to provide your bank statements, should you not then the claim will be defective.

Hi,

Where did you get this information from? The only reason I can see for providing such information is if they prioritise Income Based JSA over Contribution Based JSA. I have found nothing to suggest that you can only claim Contribution Based JSA if you are not eligible for Income Based JSA. Is the information you provide formally written down in some Act or Agreement? Thanks for advice which is really appreciated.
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    dookar wrote: »

The OP is claiming JSA CONTRIBUTION BASED. His savings have nothing to do with this at all and he is under no obligation whatsoever either legally or morally to provide this detail.

OP....I feel that you have been misinformed by a badly-trained or new member of staff. If you have problems here (which I doubt) merely ask for a supervisor or a manger to explain your point and correct this situation.
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Hi,

Where did you get this information from? The only reason I can see for providing such information is if they prioritise Income Based JSA over Contribution Based JSA. I have found nothing to suggest that you can only claim Contribution Based JSA if you are not eligible for Income Based JSA. Is the information you provide formally written down in some Act or Agreement? Thanks for advice which is really appreciated.

It is, I'll see if I can find it online but can make no promises.
  • Snakeeyes21
    Snakeeyes21 Posts: 2,527 Forumite
    They may be asking for statements to show when you stopped working and recieving a wage. I had to provide them with my claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure