How long should a boiler last - consumer Law?

wonkytechy
wonkytechy Posts: 17
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
A boiler fitted in 2008, whose installer has gone bump, has problems. Some water is leaking onto a circuit board. I dont know whether there is a warranty (its not my boiler). How long should a boiler be expected to last in consumer law. Any help appreciated :j

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,003
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Make and model would help?
    All modern boilers have at least two years warranty, some 5 or 7 years, so I suggest you check what the manufacturer's warranty is on this one. Nothing to do with the installer, he just registers it.
    There is no law that defines exactly how long a particular item should last.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    It depends how you define 'last'.

The generally accepted 'rule of thumb' with modern boilers is around 10 years before they become uneconomical to repair when a major item needs replacement.

However 'in consumer law' they only need to last as long as the Guarantee.
  • Southend1
    Southend1 Posts: 3,362
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    [QUOTE=Cardew;60153135

However 'in consumer law' they only need to last as long as the Guarantee.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. Under sale of goods act they should be of satisfactory quality. How long would a reasonable person expect a new boiler to last? Trading standards should be able to advise.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Southend1 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. Under sale of goods act they should be of satisfactory quality. How long would a reasonable person expect a new boiler to last? Trading standards should be able to advise.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nireland/consumer_ni/consumer_common_problems_with_products_e/faulty_goods_e/what_is_meant_by_not_of_satisfactory_quality.htm

If a boiler has, say, a two year guarantee and then develops a fault(s) after that period, I am pretty sure that you would have no redress under the Sale of Goods act.

A boiler will last 'forever' if it is repaired and repaired and repaired.

In the OP's case to try to take action under consumer law for a faulty 5 year old boiler is doomed IMO. It is, in effect, expecting a guarantee to last 5 years.
  • wonkytechy
    wonkytechy Posts: 17
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone. The manufacturer is involved now but as friend not foe. Appreciate your time. It's a Baxi
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    wonkytechy wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. The manufacturer is involved now but as friend not foe. Appreciate your time. It's a Baxi

I assume not for free ?
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,867
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Has it been serviced, if so they may change their mind
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Our last one died after 8yrs. I didn't think that was very good when you consider what they cost but they came out to fix it over and over again then told us the parts just aren't available 'cos it's to old.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,497
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've just had a ~ 10 year old Ideal Icos boiler replaced - the heat exchanger chamber had actually melted because some insulation had broken away and blocked the burner.The call out gas fitter said that 10 years life with a more "modern" boiler was pretty good! Gone are the days of 20+ years service - these modern units are generally made from plastic and thin metal sheet and contain too many electronic components to last, more is the pity!!
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,646
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My Glow Worm spacesaver 50 is now on its 32nd year of stirling service. Modern boilers are mostly junk.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure