PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone else make their own clothes

Options

Comments

• lauradora
    lauradora Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Good evening all

I'm another one who has bought a sewing machine today. I was at Brigg auctions and got a 70's Jones model and in good working order with all the bits and instructions :j all for the grand total of £2.50 :j :j :j :j :j :j

So I too am joining this thread with beginners passion!
    On a mission
  • sashacat
    Options
    I used to make all of my own clothes and my husband's suits and everything for the kids when they were little but don't do it now as I am on my own. I think I will dust my machine and start again. I bought my sewing machine with my first ever salary for £49 39 years ago and it is still going strong.My neice has 3 kids and she is just learning to sew and she's got me interested again. I shall go to the el kilos in Liverpool and see what they've got.
    Wombling £457.41
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations and good luck to all of you! I am just finishing a top for my friend - a try-out, and if it fits properly and she likes it I will do her some more from the same pattern for the summer. It seems though that I am forever sewing for other people, and rarely get around to doing something for myself! However the moment is near, because I have vowed not to buy any clothes this year before I have turned my stock of fabrics into wearable items..... It is great to have this thread and to know there are others still doing this sort of thing, and even new ones just starting off!
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    sashacat wrote: »
    I used to make all of my own clothes and my husband's suits and everything for the kids when they were little but don't do it now as I am on my own. I think I will dust my machine and start again. I bought my sewing machine with my first ever salary for £49 39 years ago and it is still going strong.My neice has 3 kids and she is just learning to sew and she's got me interested again. I shall go to the el kilos in Liverpool and see what they've got.

Be careful in El Kilos, sashacat! That place can become toooooo addictive!!! My OH is trying to have me barred from there :rolleyes: .
  • she_grinch
    she_grinch Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone found any cupcake fabric online to order as I have decided to cheer up my kitchen by making items from this fabric
    Pucker up and kiss it Whoville! - The Grinch:kiss:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am in the middle of making a baby dress. First clothing item in a long time, although I have made curtains and shortened hems etc. I used to make clothing for the whole family in the 70s and 80s.I have bought the patterns and sourced a stretch cotton in the states. I looked everywhere here and travelled quite a few miles but I have given in and got the materials from here
    http://www.sewzannesfabrics.com/about.html

The material is really fab and no tax if the order is under $40 but postage is fairly high because of the weight. Count $2 to £1 approx
  • Mrs_Flittersnoop
    Options
    she_grinch wrote: »
    Has anyone found any cupcake fabric online to order as I have decided to cheer up my kitchen by making items from this fabric

hi she grinch, try www.equilter.com and type 'cupcake' into the search box, there are loads listed there. Beware! this site is seriously addictive if you're a quilter and the fabrics are great. HTH Mrs Fx
  • Mrs_Flittersnoop
    Options
    Lidl have got sewing machines in again for £39!!!

I persuaded my OH to buy me one for valentines day hehe!

Now I just have to learn to use it so will be watching this thread with interest.

Any recommendation for an inexpensive book for a complete novice?

Congratulations, karmacookie, I hope you get lots of pleasure out of your sewing machine (more enduring than a bunch of roses!).

I would recommend the Reader's Digest Book of Sewing if you can find a copy in a charity shop, they seem to turn up there fairly often. You can buy them new from Amazon but I would explore the charity shop option first. It's a very comprehensive helpful book. HTH Mrs F x
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At one stage I would buy up any sewing book going. I had an ancient Vogue one and a McCalls one (I think it was) both found in charity shops but they were dated (70s). I bought "The Complete Book of Sewing" a few years ago from one of those cheap bookshops I think it was, but I'm sure I've also seen it in Waterstones recently. It is by Colour Library Direct. The illustrations are far better than the old ones I had, so as we moved recently I decided to sort out all my books and have got rid of the couple I had which are out of date.

I really must get myself organised again with sewing. It's so therapeutic. Funnily enough I loathed sewing at school, but am so glad I learned because it's so enjoyable now. I know that there are so many cheap clothes available, but at least if you make your own you can get them to fit properly and the finish will be better.
  • poppy3
    poppy3 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Lidl have got sewing machines in again for £39!!!

I persuaded my OH to buy me one for valentines day hehe!

Now I just have to learn to use it so will be watching this thread with interest.

Any recommendation for an inexpensive book for a complete novice?

karmacookie I can't find a Lidl with sewing machines around Wakefield area, which area did you buy yours? What brand is it
    Waddle you do eh?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure