Phone keeps ringing after picking up handset.

Help!

My phone rings and I pick it up - but the phone and the base keep ringing and I cannot answer the phone. Do I need to buy a new phone set? or can I fix this myself. Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is it just the release button on the base sticking down a bit?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • rhyl_2
    rhyl_2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    Is it just the release button on the base sticking down a bit?

Thanks macman. No the release button is firmly fixed onto the base. It slots into the insert on the bottom of the phone.
    The phone is a BT Synergy 3505.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 4 December 2012 at 2:40PM
    The BT Synergy 3505 is a cordless phone that can be programmed to either auto-answer when picked up off the cradle ('Auto Talk') or require the user to pick it up and then push the Talk button to answer it. Which is yours programmed for?

http://www.ukcordless.co.uk/manuals/BT%20Synergy%203505%20User%20Guide.pdf (see Page 26)
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • rhyl_2
    Heinz wrote: »
    The BT Synergy 3505 is a cordless phone that can be programmed to either auto-answer when picked up off the cradle ('Auto Talk') or require the user to pick it up and then push the Talk button to answer it. Which is yours programmed for?

Thanks for that Heinz. Sadly not working. Tried re-programming too. I note this model is from 2005 and now discontinued by BT so maybe it's just reached the end of its life?
    I'm now looking at new hand-sets. Thinking about the Panasonic KX-TG6724EM as it has a £30 reduction at the moment. I've read that Siemens is the best brand though so am a bit unsure at the moment what to do next.
  • rhyl_2
    I pick up the phone and both the phone and the base just keep on ringing. I have to go into the next room and pick up one of the other phones (it's a triple set) in order to receive and speak. Very annoying!!
  • Heinz
    It may be that the handset has somehow become unregistered from the base and re-registering it may solve the ptroblem.

Alternatively, the handsets are interchangeable so you could just put the 'faulty' handset away in a drawer and use one of the other 2 with the base station.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Heinz
  • rhyl_2
    Heinz wrote: »
    It may be that the handset has somehow become unregistered from the base and re-registering it may solve the ptroblem.

Alternatively, the handsets are interchangeable so you could just put the 'faulty' handset away in a drawer and use one of the other 2 with the base station.

Many thanks. Have tried interchanging phones but the problem persists. This confirms it must be the base that's the problem.

The re-registering bit sounded possible so gave it a go. Alas no cigar. Am putting my coat on now and heading off to Argos for a Panasonic set and will ditch this one. Thanks again for the help.
  • Heinz
    By the sound of your forum name, you're on the opposite side of the country to me but I really wish that wasn't so because your Synergy's apparent problem would be a real 'there must be a fix for that' issue for me.

Never mind, you're probably making the right choice for a replacement so good luck with that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure