Debts in my name that aren't mine!!

Hi guys, hope i can get some help because im seriously on my last nerve with this one.
I have had debt collection companies trying to chase me for debts in my name, 2 to be exact. The only thing is...i have not taken them out, so in fact they are of fraud natured, and i know who it was who took these credits out in my name with my details. I dont know what to do to clear them in my name as this person is my own mother of all people, bearing in mind that these were not of consent and i dont know what actions/steps to take to clear my name..

This has been going on for a few years now,

Regards
Beodi

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You either have to shop your mun, or clear the debts.
  • mildredalien
    mildredalien Posts: 1,057
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Oof what a tough situation. PasturesNew is right though - you have to report the debt as fraud to the police, who can investigate and get you the information you need to prove the debt wasn't incurred by you.
    Savings target: £25000/£25000
    :beer: :T

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sorry, but if the debts are in your name, then they are your responsibility.

Were they incurred by signing something, in which case you just say that that is not your signature or was this done online.

Other than that get your mother to pay up.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,539
    Forumite
    What sort of debts are these.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    McKneff wrote: »
    Sorry, but if the debts are in your name, then they are your responsibility.

Were they incurred by signing something, in which case you just say that that is not your signature or was this done online.

Other than that get your mother to pay up.
    The debts are always the responsibility of the person who incurred them, which is usually but not always the person whose name was put on them
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Forumite
    But they wont chase the person who incurred them, they will chase the person whose name is on the agreement.

But I understand what you are saying.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • ive had conversations with the creditors and they have assured me that because they are all my details that its mine to deal with. I do not have any contact with my mum due to this fact...they were both catalogues and she never had the use of the internet so am i right in assuming she would have had to sign an agreement?

In this case would it be an idea to request a cca? if signature is not mine i have proof!
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Well, obviously the proof is in the pudding as it were. If you can prove that you have been a victim of fraud, regardless of whether you know the perpetrator or not, you can tell the creditor to stick it where the sun dont shine. The down side is, they may want you to report the fraud to the police, whereupon you are honour-bound to do so.

You've got two choices :

1) Declare it as fraud and lay it at your mothers' feet with all that entails

2) Pay it.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Do you know what catalogues they were? If you contact them would they have an address of where the items that were ordered were being sent? If its your mums house then would that not be evidence?
    Slimming World Member - Started 05/02/15

• beodi
    beodi Posts: 5 Forumite
    I went with the approach of asking for the cca in these two cases! It's been about 2 weeks and only one has replied telling me they are retrieving the details I requested and nothing from the other! Anyone know where I stand with the one that ain't got in touch? Are they not obligated to not chase me for the debt if they can't prove they have the right to?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure