Selling your stuff on EBID. advice for new sellers

Comments

• sara2323
    sara2323 Posts: 479 Forumite
    Thanks again for updating the thread, I too have signed up but just as a buyer for now.

Trying to get used to the site before attempting to sell anything, I had thought I'd buy a few things to get some feedback but can't find anything useful to buy!!!
  • samanthaknd
    samanthaknd Posts: 702 Forumite
    I have always said give ebid a chance, because I have COMPLETELY given up on ebay now, due to stupid incompetant sellers.edit: YES not all sellers are but when you keep getting scam mails from nigeria " i wanting you to send to nigeria please, I am being on holidays" it really !!!!es me off as all i sell on ebay are just books and craft supplies
    Need to get rid of my Yankee Candle Habit, Not very money saving of me :)
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well, out of curiosity I've set up he same item on Ebid and Ebay just to see what happens. (Yes I do have more than one of the item.) Also had the same item in Tazbar since Jan without a bite. Tazbar seems mostly craft, jewellry and discs.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Hi

I am currently setting up my shop categories but it says you can only have 30 categories, there are others with more than 30 - as I am categorising books I definitely need more than 30.

Does anyone know how this is done, or is this a recent restriction?

TIA FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • Mordillo
    Mordillo Posts: 39 Forumite
    I have signed up for the 7 day platinum account just to test it out, I'm interested in the lifetime platinum account as it is a fifth of my last weeks ebay fees!

First item listed so I'll see how it goes.

I presume I'll be able to upgrade to the lifetime platinum account if I want to?
  • Oh dear, I got all excited! then let down.... I was keen to see if I could cut my selling fees on ebay and searched completed listings in one of my most used categories.
    Out of 129 items only 2 sold :rolleyes: so no matter how cheap it is to sell I just can't see how it would work in my case

Maybe next year Rodney
  • Oh dear, I got all excited! then let down.... I was keen to see if I could cut my selling fees on ebay and searched completed listings in one of my most used categories.
    Out of 129 items only 2 sold :rolleyes: so no matter how cheap it is to sell I just can't see how it would work in my case

Maybe next year Rodney

If you were looking for a ready made clone of eBay that would give you exactly the same level of results without any effort, then of course you will be disappointed. No other sites currently exist where you can reasonably expect that.

Sellers on all the other St. Elsewhere sites need to recognise that their sales technique and level of work needs to be adjusted to suit the site they're on. However, many sellers fail to understand that point and therefore do not reach the level of sales they desire.

In this case it could be possible for a savvy seller to step in and, using the correct approach, increase sales and reap the rewards. All it takes is someone with the vision, integrity and guts to take the right steps.

Until enough people recognise the need for alternatives sites, take the risk by using them and make the effort to sell on them effectively, then there will only ever be one site dominating the market and single site dominance is bad news for everyone.
    Why Pay High Fees
    on eBay when there ARE alternative sites available?
  • What are the rules for linking on ebid? For example, you can link to your own website on your eBay 'me' page provided prices are two clicks away and the moon is in the eighth house of ridiculous or something, and I was wondering if there's a similar rule on ebid. If there is, I can't find it, and I'd hate to fall foul before I've even started :)

Thanks.
    Eek! Someone's stolen my signature! :eek:
  • I agree that any new site won't get properly started until enough people are willing to give it a chance, both buying and selling.

I just I don't have the hours in the day or more importantly the enthusiasm to take time and care over a listing that in all likelyhood won't sell, about half of my buyers are from overseas and they they may not be regular users yet either.

Although I'd like to think that I had 'vision, integrity and guts' I don't in this case so I'm going to stand back and let others be the pioneers and watch on the sidelines - I truly wish everyone well with this but after nearly 8 years of selling on ebay, 6 of them full time and with 2 ebay shops to run, my furrow is well worn and it would be very hard to dig another.
  • val4xx
    val4xx Posts: 78 Forumite
    Hi

I am currently setting up my shop categories but it says you can only have 30 categories, there are others with more than 30 - as I am categorising books I definitely need more than 30.

Does anyone know how this is done, or is this a recent restriction?

TIA FFM :)

I think it's always been 30 main categories- but you can set sub categories under the main categories which gives you a lot more. For example one of my main categories is crime fiction- and within that category i have for sub categories diciding up the authors surnames.
    There is no such word as "bidded". I bid, you bid, they bid, Ebid ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback