Single mother, 2 children, what can they get?

Comments

• Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    xxtokerxx wrote: »
    Panda - your not wrong, I am simply being nosey, they seem to have a lot of "cash" to buy things.

Yes, they could tons of money from the absent parent and it won't affect their benefits one jot - it used to have an impact but the rules changed a year or so ago.

Well, they could have loads of child support on top of their benefits, perhaps she gets free school meals, they could be in debt for all you know.

The cash she gets in her hand from benefits is broadly the equivalent of what someone would get after tax from a full time minimum wage job, except that as it's earned income, the employee will probably find that that they have to use some or all of their disposable income on their rent and council tax, depending on various factors, such as if they have dependents.
  • xxtokerxx
    xxtokerxx Posts: 66 Forumite
    I was mainly interested because after my bills for rent, food, living costs, car, insurances etc. etc. I actually pay more of my disposable amount on child support than what I have, it actually leave me with £80 disposable based on "general" living costs.

hence the reason I need to save money on my eating (another thread about saving money on food).

Like I said earlier I am not making any judgement on any one, just hurts me to suffer with huge bills and the stress of maintaining those bills while some one is living their life almost stress free with a fair chunk of disposable income!
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    xxtokerxx wrote: »
    I was mainly interested because after my bills for rent, food, living costs, car, insurances etc. etc. I actually pay more of my disposable amount on child support than what I have, it actually leave me with £80 disposable based on "general" living costs.

AFAIK, child maintenance set by the CSA does not take into account what the non resident parent spends (otherwise lots, I would expect, would present expenses that exactly match their net income...).

Aren't their calculations are based mainly around x % of the NRP income, depending on how many kids they have?

If you have a private arrangement with the other parent and are struggling, I suppose one option is to re-negotiate. Another is to decrease your expenses - download the MSE budget planner and work through the site to understand how to live even more frugally.

I suppose another is to gain physical/residency of the children and claim the benefits due to the lone parent and ask the other parent to pay you child support?

I don't understand what is happening to child support when it comes to the transition to the Universal Credit system - perhaps other MSE members have an idea whether it will be included in the overall credit or not?
  • xxtokerxx
    xxtokerxx Posts: 66 Forumite
    I know that the money received via the CSA does not affect any benefits.

The situation is complicated and I do not see the child or the family, just bumped into the mother while she was out shopping and have heard through lots of people on occasions about her doing this, or doing that etc, things that require a fair amount of money to keep on doing.

It's 15% of my NET income so no consideration of rent, bills, expenses etc.

Just seems crazy that I work 42.5 hours a week, goto college for 6 hours which costs me £1,000 per year pay for my own rent, bills and foods and have never received a benefit my self I have almost no disposable income that a mother of 2 who has never had a full time job has her own place, stress free and seems to spend her life shopping.......

I worked it out that with my current Girl friend that we physically couldn't live together if she didn't work (IE had a child) she'd have to work part time.

Doesn't make sense to penalise those that go out and work that are forced to leave their child.

I mean isn't life all about family? IE we're born we mate we bring ours up and that the world is always trying to "better the life of the child"

Seems kinda ironic doesn't it?
  • gambit27
    gambit27 Posts: 89 Forumite
    It certainly does seem very ironic, a friend of a friend has 3 kids, she had another one this year as she can't be bothered going to work, and get's £400 more than me per month, yet I go out and work and she sits on her backside all day doing sod all, getting her rent and council tax paid, kids school meals, and I work, go to college, and plan on doing a degree (if I can afford it!!!) and don't get help paying anything. I do get tax credits, which I have to say are a Godsend, but it's sickening that I work my backside off, trying to eventually get a good job so I don't have to rely on tax credits, while she can do nothing and get paid more for it! And in fact, keep having kids to random people she might meet so she can continue to live like a queen!!!
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 1315
    DFW Total debt [STRIKE]£14,453 [/STRIKE] £6,273
    Lbs to lose [STRIKE]50[/STRIKE] 35
  • pandaspot wrote: »
    I don't think the op is finding out for this person, think the are being nosey about someone they know :)

Might be wrong

If that is the case, what a horrible little poster doesn't have the ba**s to openly ask the person, how underhand!
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Do they get to claim single parent benefits whatever the maintenance is from the ex partner? What if the ex partner is on £100,000 a year or more? Seems an odd rule!

I agree, it is a ridiculous rule. Seems crazy that the govt are cutting spending in so many areas, yet they allow this to continue.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    She could have £100s in maintenance from the ex-partner and still have all her Benefits, whereas a working family on minimum wage might not have much more money coming in than her benefits, and not have any extra.

Totally stupid rule, can't imagine why it was ever brought in,something to do with the alleged 'child poverty' I suppose.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    If that is the case, what a horrible little poster doesn't have the ba**s to openly ask the person, how underhand!

So you think that people should just go round asking everyone what they earn? Or are you saying that just because she is on benefits, all her neighbours should be entitled to know what she is is receiving? Or perhaps she should be forced to put a notice up on her door?

The OP is just curious, just as if she had asked what a barrister typically earned. Would you expect her go go up to him and ask him?
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I totally agree - it doesn't do much to reign in the unscrupulous women who go on to have 4X4 - what a life of riley - I am in the wrong job!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure