Do insulated radiator panels save money? - I'm testing them now

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    My house has solid walls (1930s build). the walls are generally cold to touch except behind the radiators where they are warm (marshmallow melting wall).

Sounds like I would gain by fitting these panels. Some of the radiators, particularly the ones curved into the bays have very little gap between the wall and the radiator - how large a gap do I need to make these sheets worthwhile?

Some of the main rooms have radiator covers in MDF or wood. (stupid idea in my opinion, the wood warms up nicely!) They have to stay as the wooden flooring underneath them has not been completed. Could I put these insulation panels on the inside of the radiator covers? You can actually feel a hot draft coming out of the radiators with these covers on, so they do direct some heat. Unfortunately, its the radiators that are not on an outside wall that have the covers.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    I have panels behind every radiator , been there several years, and D.I.Y so paid back by now. Wouldn't be without them...a bit off topic...this site is good for detail and a huge thread on multifoils..
    http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/forum/index.php
  • beer2006
    beer2006 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thats a good link Ken and a massive thread as well. Starting to work my way through it, if you've read it would you give a conclusion?

I didn't know about multifoils, interesting.
    “Pleasure of love lasts but a moment, pain of love lasts a lifetime.”
  • Ken68
    http://www.housebuildersupdate.co.uk/2006/10/multifoils-banned.html

Not banned in the sense of being harmful, just not as effective as claimed.
    Multifoil insulation is foil..bubble wrap...foil and as sold by the DIY sheds at £4 per sq metre. The foil seems be sprayed on.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    the link talks about roof insulation. is it worth putting behind radiators on solid walls?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • beer2006
    beer2006 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well silvercar, thats what the whole debate was about ............. I think :)
    I have solid walls and I think it is, I may do some temp tests when I have time........ :D like 2020 then.

Why don't you try one radiator and do temp tests above and behind the rad?
    If something is wrong with this simple test, would someone please pipe up :)
    Like I need to ask :rolleyes: :D

From a very quick read, because I'm building a woodshed, I thought multifoil was multiple layers of foil and thin insulation? I'll have to go back and have a better read when I have time.
    “Pleasure of love lasts but a moment, pain of love lasts a lifetime.”
  • Ken68
    Kitchen foil (£1.89 for 25 metres, just over a ft wide) pasted with heavy duty wallpaper paste onto cardboard (free) or bubble wrap from a garden centre has to be the cheapest way.
    Must not touch the radiator, and either pasted or taped to the wall. Don't think my rads have the space to take profiled radiator panels.
  • It was suggested to me that those £1 car sunscreens, ones with foil reflectors, work well behind radiators. Double sided tape, cut foil to fit and away you go. Does seem to have saved me money in the last few months.
  • Ken68
    Good one Anne....double use.
  • echo
    echo Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    so can somebody help a dense woman out please on how to make the homemade version.i get the cardboard and attach bubble wrap to it then cover the front ( the bit facing the radiator) with foil.is that correct? been using foil behind radiators for yrs but it's useless.any help would be appreciated cos i've googled and not come up with owt that'll help me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure