The Great 'Counter Seasonality' Hunt

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
What’s counter seasonality?

Companies traditionally ramp up prices for products at popular times of year, when they know everyone wants to buy their wares. Yet by doing the exact opposite of what they expect us to do – buying Xmas pressies in January, convertible cars when it’s snowing outside, home insurance the day before Xmas – it’s possible to save a packet. Counter seasonality's buying the right stuff at the wrong time.

What’s this hunt about?

I thought I'd tap MoneySavers knowledge on for the best counter seasonality tips; how to find the cheapest prices by swimming against the tide. To add your ideas, please reply below.

Please put:

The product or service.
The best time to grab it.
The logic behind your idea.

For a full guide to haggling, read the High Street Haggle article.

threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    well the natural one is to think of getting your Xmas gear now.

Next clearance had some quality bargains the other day when I was in there

Boxes of cards 20p for 24
    Loads of Xmas candle displays going on eg candles surrounded by pinecones, ribbon etc for a quid each

Next clearance is always a good place for swimwear, as was boots clearance loads of kids swimwear, flipflops etc & summer kit for a couple of quid

I got some gift tags from boots for 10p a pack ( for 10) ( boots clearance)

Also to say in Tesco extra theres lots of finest and ambre solaire sun tan lotions around the £2 mark. I believe that sun tan lotion lasts 12 months, so I presume last summers stock - OK if you are going away now or in the spring.
    threadbanner.gif
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • gromituk
    gromituk Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    Mini coolers.
    Now.
    No-one wants them in the winter.

Example: they're half price (£20) at Woolworths at the moment.
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
  • ^!£$&
    ^!£$& Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    I bought a load of bday and xmas pressies yest from asos they've got some great stuff from £1
    Plus i also got some flip flops for myself for £1
    Plus I used a 10% off code thats lying around here!
  • gooismeid
    gooismeid Posts: 283 Forumite
    School uniform is always a biggie for me and I hate the way it gets pushed at us in July/August when we're all in holiday mood. You KNOW your kids need it all year round and that they'll be growing all the time, but many people just buy in August the size that fits the kids at the time they go back to school in September. As soon as you see a special offer in Adams or Ethel Austin or Tesco, buy the basics in several sizes and keep them in the wardrobe, you know they'll get used!
    threadbanner.gif
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
  • bluefish
    bluefish Posts: 66 Forumite
    My friend got jeans at M&S for three pound a pair and lots of other great bargains too. I think they have reduced their sale items further!
  • Tesco have tons of Christmas Cards and wrapping paper for sale at silly prices.
    Mum of 4 :exclamati
    Working full time :rolleyes2

Motto in life:
    Winners never quit and quitters never win ;)
  • smartcat04
    smartcat04 Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    A lot of the clothes shops are getting rid of their winter gear. Gonna get next years winter coat in the sales.
    Bought a load of christmas socks reduced to 50p from Primark. They may have rudolf on but under my boots nobody sees them and at that price they are 1/4 the cost of the others.
    April £5 a day challenge- £15.05/£150
  • School shoes in Clarks in the December Sales

My kids feet seem to grow in half size increments so I've bought them at least two pairs in bigger sizes for the last two years in the Clarks xmas sales as that's the only time they have black shoes on sale! They never have them in the summer sale as they know people will be wanting to buy them in preparation for September.

I've saved quite a bit like this :)
  • deejay62
    deejay62 Posts: 13 Forumite
    I have just done all my Christmas (2007) present shopping at Collectables in Stockton on Tees. As a single mum on benifits I try to limit my expenditure to £7/8 for Adult friends and £5 for any children. (Family do get more spent on them!!) But have bought tree ornaments for £2.50 (and no they are not rubbish ones! They had been £6 each) and bone china trinket boxes (£1.50 reduced from £3) and some gorgeous sentiment boxes with a lovely verse on them and a beautiful friendship angel in them for £5. Normally £13 I'M IN THE MONEY. And I bought half price cards/wrap/tags from Asda. And I'm going to wrap them and write them now! Then I can sit back and enjoy next year. YESSSSS! Happy New Year everyone.
  • hostie
    hostie Posts: 505 Forumite
    Buy your summer Bikini now in the January sales. I usually get mine in Next for about £3 though it does demand a lot of rummaging to get matching sets in the right size.
    24.06.14 12 st 12 lb (waist 45" at fattest part of belly)
    7.10.14 11 st 9 lb
    26.02.15 12 st 5 1/2 lb
    27.05.15 11 st 5.6 lb
    4.8.17 11 st 1lb
    Target weight: 10 1/2 stone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts