Suspicious transaction - "WP-STAGECOACH-SERV"

Options

Comments

• rololux
    Options
    I too have been a victim of a WP-SCOACH transaction. Tyring to find out more about it, I did a search for SCOACH, and discovered that it is urban slang for 'to steal with extreme stealth'!

A thief with a sense of humour is still a thief!
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hmm, for the past few days I've noticed that in my available balance in my Halifax account is £2.50 less than the amount in it, meaning a payment may be coming out of it soon. I haven't used my card for anything £2.50. I've recently used it on a website to order my graduation gown, and that is the only time I have ever used that card. Do you think someone could be using it somewhere? I'll wait and find out.
  • rgb83
    rgb83 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I am a fraud officer for a major bank and i monitor a/c's daily for these tester transactions, have you had a phonecall or a message left asking you to confirm some transactions? If your a/c is showing £2.50 down in available funds but not off your balance and you haven't made the purchase it could be a £1 testers but because of bank fees for overseas they had £1.50 on so it shows as £2.50 debiting, then in most cases it drops back into your available funds, in some cases it debits where it is stagecoach for example, others are itunes, napster, top up to mobile companies and small payments to charities, fraudster think we dont question why you are giving to a charity. you may find your bank are on to it and your card gets blocked for safety, give them a call and ask as you may need a nw card.
    Dont sit on it as mentioned in a previous post the a/c could be emptied overnight.
    Hope this helps, x
    :rotfl:
    "its always in the last place you look!" of course it is, once you have found it you dont keep looking! ha ha
    ;)

• rgb83
    rgb83 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I've noticed a WP_scoach payment on my account today, I couldn't identify it, and called the bank, whilst racking my brain to see if I could remember spending the money. I popped the name into google and came to the one reliable source - Money Expert.

Whilst on the phone to the bank, I mentioned that this company had been taking fraudulent payments for months - I quoted this forum as an example of the number of people who had been ripped off - and asked, if a company is persistently taking money like this, why is the bank continuing to let it happen. The guy I was speaking to said that if it showed as a persistent problem, the bank would eventually contact the police to follow up on the fraud.

I think the dates and stories in this page show a long enough period of ongoing frauds for the banks to have acted by now. Anyone got any idea why they haven't or can't?

Unfortunatly we have to remeber these companies are real companies and are as much affected by fruad as us, they are targetted for fraudsters to test card details and if they work they go on to bigger purchases, stagecoach believe they are seling a ticket,
    :rotfl:
    "its always in the last place you look!" of course it is, once you have found it you dont keep looking! ha ha
    ;)

• Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Update:

Phoned Halifax. They told me its a company called RSA security. And that it's something to do with them checking my account, but they deposit the money back in, or something like that.

I've noticed my HSBC is missing a pound now! I cant remember using it, but I use that card a lot lol. It only appeared today.
  • mkant
    mkant Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    and another one here - WP scoach-eticket STOCKPORT for £1.50.

nationwide did really well here and nailed the next transaction that came through, 3 days later, KurtGeiger online for £243.

i live abroad, and debit card only gets used for big name company online trnx, or at a local cashpoint. Never leaves my sight. So must have been either an insider selling card details from somewhere, or malaware on my pc (unlikely, but off to scan it now :rolleyes:)
  • dsdelliott
    Options
    Hi

just came across this post when checking my bank transactions and came accross a payment to "WP-Scoach Eticket STOCKPORT" after finding this thread i then checked any statements i had from this date, and it turns out that this transaction was payment for MEGABUS tickets.
    This is a warning to all...

This morning I logged in to my internet banking to see if a cheque I had paid in had cleared. While I was at it, I noticed a transaction for £1.50 which I did not remember making. The name of the transaction was "WP-STAGECOACH-SERV". THis struck me as odd, as I would never normally use my debit card for such a small transaction and I didn't recognise the name.

A bit of Google research turned up the following: this kind of transaction occurs when your credit card details have been "skimmed" and the perpetrators will try and put through a small transaction to "test the water". If the transaction succeeds, a few days later they will clean you out. People have lost as much as £16,000 in this way. :eek:

One change of underwear later I headed down to Lloyds with my card in my sweaty little paw. They got onto their fraud department who agreed that, yes, the transaction was fraudulent, and cancelled my card. And not a moment too soon as the £1.50 transaction was 10 days ago. I could have been hours away from losing a couple of thousand pounds! :eek:

I have my suspicions as to where the fraud originated. The main purpose of this post is to warn people to keep an eye on their bank account and, if there are any small transactions you don't remember making, beware!
  • quango2k
    Options
    ive had this happen to me on christmas eve, going through the process of recovering the lost monies at the moment..

the only online website I use my card on is www.play.com and they are the only ones that retain your full card details for future purchases..anyone else use play.com on here?
  • martin222
    Options
    hi, logged on to my bank account and found a debit for £1.50, for wp scoach eticket? does any one know who they are? i know it could be fraud because i rang my bank pronto, and they cancelled my debit cards, and thats a major pain in the but, i only use my debit card 4 shopind at asda and petrol,, how have these people got my debit card number??? any ideas are grateful,, martin
  • wagster_2
    Options
    Need advice please.

My stupid 18 yr old son decided the other night after he had been drinking to go online at the the request of a girl who he knows locally who apparently has a slot on webcams.com.

He signed up to the £2.99 trial offer.

He says he cancelled the offer not long after saying he had received the cancellation email but he had deleted it.

On his bank statement he is showing 1 transaction to wcbilling.com for £4.78 and another transaction to BT Online for £4.71.(even more stupid of him was his account was empyt yet the bank still allowed the transactions to go through and put him overdrawn so waiting to see the overdraft chages on top now)

He is adament that he only tried the one website but as he was drunk i am not 100% believing him.

We have tried to access the webcam account with his details but not getting anywhere as no account showing so it is pointing to the account being cancelled.

Only problem no is that 11 days later he has had £22.72 debited from his account to BT Online again.

Only problem is i cannot get any info on this BT Online to find out if it is associated with the webcams.com or somone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure