PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

sole plate of iron (cleaning)

dont buy  a new iron
just  rub the sole plate with a mixture of vinegar and salt.
;D ;D ;D

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    My mother taught me to rub a bar of soap over the plate while it's still warm, then to clean it off with a cloth.

Works for me :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks to both of you. I was just about to ask this question!

:D
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    your right about the soap, I remember my gran doing it with the old flat iron!!! ;D
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    my gran also swore by rubbing a bit of petrolium jelly round the steam holes to stop rust, then giving it a good wipe before ironing
  • MattieT
    MattieT Posts: 20 Forumite
    what's the best way to clean an iron sole plate please???
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    whilst its just warm, rub with damp green scoury thing. (flat green ones.) works wonders.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help, I purchased a new Hinari iron about 4 weeks ago. About a week ago I noticed what appeared to be a brown patch on the plate on the iron.

When the iron is cold and I rub my finger on it, it doesn't feel as if anything is there and I have got a scourer and tried to scrub it and nothing happens.

When the iron was hot this morning I could run my nail on it and it had gone quite soft but not sticky, I managed to scrape some off but when I got a normal wet dishcloth it didn't do any good. (I know it was a silly thing to do to touch a hot iron but I was slightly peeved this morning)

In my house we only iron jeans and shirts for work so I'm sure it hasn't come off a transfer on a top.

When I iron no marks appear on my clothes except when I do the cuffs and then it leaves a black mark which can be wiped but not all the mark disappears.

Any ideas of how to get this mark off?

Thanks
  • Hi EE,

If you have a John Lewis store or similar close to you, you can buy an iron cleaning stick. It's about the size of a lipstick and you warm the iron up, (not hot though) and rub on the waxy stick which melts off the debris on the iron. It only costs a couple of pounds and make the iron like new. I've used mine a few times and I've still got plenty left.

Good luck!

DFS
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    A real "old fashioned" money saving manner of cleaning the iron plate is this:

take a bar of soap and while the iron is hot (but turned off!) , rub it all over the iron plate. It will stink, but let it cool a bit - not all the way to cold - and then rub it with a cloth. A scourer risks scratching the iron plate and might then snag on other clothing in the future.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • MrsMondragon
    MrsMondragon Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    Put some salt on a thick piece of card. Heat the iron till very hot. Now rub the iron in the salt. That should removed the mark. Cheap and easy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure