How much savings are you allowed when applying for JSA?

What is the amount you are allowed to have in savings and still be entitled to JSA?

Comments

• healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    unclekevin wrote: »
    What is the amount you are allowed to have in savings and still be entitled to JSA?

Contribution based unlimited.

Income based £6000 for the full amount, £6000 to £16000 for a reduced amount. Savings over £16000 no payment.
  • briona
    briona Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    If you have made enough contributions in the relevant tax years, you will be able to claim contributions-based JSA for a maximum of 6 months. This is NOT affected by any savings you have.

If after 6 months you have not found a job, or if you are not eligible for contributions-based JSA, you will need to claim income-based JSA. For income-based JSA, you will need to declare your savings. Anything between £6,000 and £16,000 will affect your benefits. You lose £1 of benefits for every £250 or part thereof that you have in savings. If you have more than £16,000 in savings you will not be eligible for income-based JSA. Note that your eligibility for this benefit will also be affected by having a partner who is earning.

EDIT: Beaten to it by Healy!
    If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
  • karenx
    karenx Posts: 4,988 Forumite
    If you do get to apply for housing benefits also ( as per your other post ) then your savings are affected also! So if you have the 16k in savings theres no chance you will get housing benefit
  • Vader123
    Vader123 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post

How much do you have?

Vader
  • I have roughly about £11,000,but £3,000 of that belongs to my parents! Will that affect me?
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I have roughly about £11,000,but £3,000 of that belongs to my parents! Will that affect me?

If its in your bank account yes!

A paper trail may muddy the lines but its unlikely.
  • The money is in 3 seperate accounts, 1 is an ISA which is my parents which has £3000, 1 account has £3000 in and the other account is where i used to get my wages paid in to and that has £5000 in. The accounts are all at the same building society
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    The money is in 3 seperate accounts, 1 is an ISA which is my parents which has £3000, 1 account has £3000 in and the other account is where i used to get my wages paid in to and that has £5000 in. The accounts are all at the same building society

Can you prove that it is your parents money because they transfered it/paid by cheque and why did they do it?

The obvious reason is to hide there savings?
  • unclekevin
    unclekevin Posts: 75 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2010 at 11:26PM
    They had £6000 in an ISA and they wanted another ISA opening in the same tax year so i opened up an ISA in my name and transferred £3000, what do you advise? I am really worried that it will affect me when i go tomorrow to the jobcentre
  • I am a bit confused as after reading other websites it seems that if you have anything over £16000 you can not claim JSA. but if your savings are over £6,000 - then they will deduct £1 for every £250.

So does that mean i will be ok?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport