Are you richer than your parents were?

Comments

• I'm better off than my parents because they left me money from the sale of their property when they died .
    My parents started their working life on the factory floor, I am a retired teacher and my daughter is a doctor.we used the opportunities given to us and worked hard all our lives.
    I'm not sure if this trend will continue but it seems to be reflected in your poll so far.
  • It's a daft question really and one that isn't answerable by yes or no.

Food for example is generably far cheaper and with far more choices than there was just 40 years ago.
    Also the relative wages for working class people are higher and the benefits system covers you for a great deal more than it did.

However housing costs are much higher than they were ... virtually everyone 40 years back even in London could get a house on a mortgage and with an ordinary working class job....they can't now.
  • At 79 I am rather better off (I think) Father died at 68 and Mother at 74. So if being alive during these rubbish times is a good thing then I have to say I am better off, as are my 2 sons.
  • stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    It is an odd question. Other than being related by blood to my parents and they did a great job bringing me up, I'm a completely different animal, as I'd imagine many other people are.
    In my case they were very ambitious, aspirational business people (now retired and living very comfortably), I'm happy to earn a reasonable living. No ambition, never saw the point really unless you're going to discover the cause of gravity or cure cancer. Making money is not an end in itself.

That said, I'm doing OK, can't complain. At a comparable age, I'm probably as well off as they were but that's down to cheaper consumer goods and luxuries. I seem to remember a bog standard hi-fi in the 70s was about a couple of week's wages and TVs were so expensive you generally rented. Now all that stuff is cheap and disposable.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • Simple answer - Yes

Both my parents worked hard and my mum had to have 3 jobs so that they could afford things
  • By the time they were my age my parents owned their house outright but had seven children! I can't afford a mortgage or kids.

My siblings and I looked after them until the end. Who will look after me; I'm the seventh child?
  • hayleythedaisy
    hayleythedaisy Posts: 1,692 Forumite
    edited 27 October 2012 at 2:46PM
    My parents were in a much less materialist society so probably considered themselves more well off than we do, because they wanted for less. However, I would say we have more money coming in but "need" (read want) more things.
    For instance, how much would they have spent on a holiday, wedding, honeymoon, how often would they have changed their furniture and purchased new clothes.

(I'm 24)
    Bump due 22nd September
  • I'm 56, married with 3 adult kids. We own our house outright and run a car. My parents were in the same position at the same age. However 3 years ago I had to take early retirement due to ill health. Had that not happened we would be considerably better off than my parents were at the same age. But having had a serious health scare I realised that money and wealth are not as important as health and family, so I'm happy with what we have.
  • We've yet to hear from the under 30s
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    >>>Each generation can build on the fortunes of the last<<<

Not in our case - the older generation is still spending it :T
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing