070 numbers

af2909_2
af2909_2 Posts: 196 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 18 August 2013 at 7:36PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Hi all

Just to warn you I have been receiving missed calls from an 070 number (not sure if I'm allowed to post the full number on here - if I am I will)

When you ring back - It rings (or it seems that it does anyway) but connects immediately (I assume it connects to another phone). it's cost me 77p so far. It is a trivial amount, but as you can imagine if they scam a few hundred people a week then it adds up.

I've registered a complaint with https://www.phonepayplus.org - if anyone else suffers from this, there's a link for you:beer:

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    How has an incoming missed call cost you 77p?
  • Do you mean that seeing you had a missed called you then rung the number to see who it was ?
    Owing on CC £00.00 :j

It's like shooting nerds in a barrel
  • af2909_2
    mije1983 wrote: »
    How has an incoming missed call cost you 77p?

I called it back thinking it was a mobile, did a google search after making 3 calls ( like a big twit :eek: ) and found out about how they charge for calls

It connects straight away even though the phone line rings
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2013 at 7:40PM
    If you mean you rang back the number because it was a missed call, then the responsibility for the cost is squarely yours.

There is no revenue sharing on 070 numbers, and I use them for firms to call me should they demand a phone number. If they want to inconvenience me, they can pay for the pleasure!

Incidentally, you are charged as soon as the call is connected to the 070 network and not when it answers - pretty unfair, but you learn not to dial 070 numbers.
  • af2909_2
    Buzby wrote: »
    If you mean you rang back the number because it was a missed call, then the responsibility for the cost is squarely yours.

There is no revenue sharing on 070 numbers, and I use them for firms to call me should they demand a phone number. If they want to inconvenience me, they can pay for the pleasure!

Incidentally, you are charged as soon as the call is connected to the 070 network and not when it answers - pretty unfair, but you learn not to dial 070 numbers.

Fair enough - just pretty annoying given that my phone is on TPS and it's probably some nob cold calling :mad:

Lesson learned, 77p +VAT is a small but handy reminder :beer:
  • af2909_2
    Do you mean that seeing you had a missed called you then rung the number to see who it was ?

Spot on, that's what I did
  • earthstorm
    earthstorm Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    af2909 wrote: »
    just pretty annoying given that my phone is on TPS
    The thing with TPS and even MPS is that a company needs to be registered with them, so they know your number/address is on the list, but if they are calling from outside the UK then you being registered means nothing.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Pretty much the only people who use 070 numbers are (most frequently Nigerian) scammers. The reason for this, is because they can be set to be diverted to any telephone number worldwide including Nigeria but appear to be a UK mobile number to those not in the know. I have yet to see any legitimate business using them. They really should be killed off now it will inconvenience scammers no end as they will have to show international numbers.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    paddyrg wrote: »
    Pretty much the only people who use 070 numbers are (most frequently Nigerian) scammers. The reason for this, is because they can be set to be diverted to any telephone number worldwide including Nigeria but appear to be a UK mobile number to those not in the know. I have yet to see any legitimate business using them. They really should be killed off now it will inconvenience scammers no end as they will have to show international numbers.

The Nigerian scammers will soon find another way to extract you from your money.

Missed a phone call from an unknown number?
    Google it to see who it is, or wait as if it's important they will call back.
  • af2909_2
    paddyrg wrote: »
    Pretty much the only people who use 070 numbers are (most frequently Nigerian) scammers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBagN5En-N0

Only kidding :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family