White goods insurance

Comments

• dougk_2
    dougk_2 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    White goods are cheap - there is little point taking out insuarance on them.

If the items don't last 5 years or more then don't buy that make again!

When buying from big stores (Comet,Miller Brothers etc), try negotiating with them to include the extended warranty free! I have done this successfully two or three times.
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    I wouldn't bother to be honest, the amount of money you will pay out would work out to a brand new appliance twice over..Your appliance normally would last it's lifetime anyway..it's not worth it..
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi PB19, I've moved your thread here, where you should find more info for your query.
    HTH
    savvy
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • All
    I've been approached by BG to take on cover for the above. Before I say yes does anyone know where else I might get a competitive quote for this at all please?

Thanks

PB
  • mcivord
    mcivord Posts: 37 Forumite
    Guys - I know this is very unlikely but are there any 'reasonable' 3 - 5 year extended warranty deals for items such my Zanussi washing machine I bought yesterday with a standard 1 yr guarantee ? Cheers
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi mcivord
    I've moved your post here so that you may find something of use and to aid future searches.
    HTH
    savvy
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • I find the prices for this are really exorbitant... i did once find a company who insured my PC for a quarter of the price quoted by the shop, but now need insurance for tumble-drier, washing machine etc as original guarantees have just expired. Could anyone advise me please?
  • maclean2
    maclean2 Posts: 709 Forumite
    Yes you're right the insurance is vastly overpriced so put the money in a separate account for appliance repair/replacement and forget about insuring the washing machine etc.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    http://www.warrantyex.co.uk/Default.aspx

However, I never buy extended warranties on the top of extra 1 year that I have free when I pay with my Nationwide credit card.
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I insure TVs etc through insurance broker https://www.portwood.co.uk who have an AXA policy that covers individual items or blocks of similar goods all at prices nothing like those offered by retailers when you buy goods, or begging letters asking you to extend warranty you receive when 1 year guarantee expires. It's worth looking at Portwood's web site at their household items insurance prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure