I have an answering machine message from "MCS". Is it a scam?

They said that they had a message waiting for me. This seems like a scam as surely wouldn't they just tell me the message?

I've searched the internet and can't find anything on MCS, but does anyone else know about this kind of thing?
Nemmer Nossage :rotfl: :j

Became a Mrs on 30th July 2010!

Expecting Baby #1on 22nd April 2012

Comments

• I'm pretty sure this is a scam - I just got exactly the same message (9.55am)!
    A few weeks ago I had the more well known "James from the information team" message left for me - looks like my number might be on some kind of scam target list :-(

The number left to call back was 0871*******. Beware!
  • howey78
    howey78 Posts: 66 Forumite
    I had one of these aslo last Friday. Very polite voice on phone, when I was trying to interupt him, asking who he was from, (was something like mcs) he continued saying he had a massage etc then hung up. It also was a 0871 number. Big Scam!
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    They said that they had a message waiting for me. This seems like a scam as surely wouldn't they just tell me the message?
    Exactly.

If someone had a message for me, the ideal place to leave the message would be on the answering machine on which they left a message asking me to call a number to collect my message.

Instead, they left a message asking me to call a number to collect my message!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • quote...he continued saying he had a massage etc then hung up. It also was a 0871 number. Big Scam!....unquote....

massage understand ........... but the etc then hung up.......:eek:
  • fififofum
    fififofum Posts: 150 Forumite
    i always think a genuine business would call back, and since moving house and going ex directory have not had any "you have won a trip to florida" etc etc messages.
    are you sitting comfortably?, then I'll begin.....
    was at 01/01/07 now 03/07/07

overdraft was 1500 now 1360 must try harder.

loan was 13705.24 now 9791.62 due to be paid off 01/02/2011 but gonna aim for 01/05/2009!!

amex cc was 4210 now 3650.48 lobt at 4.9% due to be paid off in 01/02/08
    total owed was £19415.24 now its £14802.10 going down!!!:money:
    I am proud to be dealing with my debt!
    just one day at a time, dont take on ANY NEW debt.
  • i registered with phone preference thingy when i set up my bt line last year...haven't had a single marketing call or not asked for/needed call since. (and it was free)
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    fififofum wrote:
    i always think a genuine business would call back, and since moving house and going ex directory have not had any "you have won a trip to florida" etc etc messages.
    I'm pleased to hear that but beware, being ex-directory does not protect you from auto-diallers (the computer doesn't know, it just dials numbers).

Registering with TPS is the most effective.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • FrugalJo
    FrugalJo Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for this had two in the last week, one this morning was at 8.10am !
    The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. - Chinese Proverb
    Jo
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What is the number you have been asked to ring back on? Before everyone expounds all the conspiracy theories, if it starts with 08 or 09, it's probably a scam of some sort. If it's a normal geographic number it may be a normal transaction - give them a call back (using 141 if you think its' necessary) and then we can get some calm facts on it.
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • I received a "please call us back we have a message for you" scam call today also from MCS.

The number I was asked to ring back on was 0871 *** ****.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure