Becoming a Virgin Vie rep - any views?

Hi everyone its been a while since I posted on here.

I am thinking about signing up as a Virgin Vie cosmetics rep and wondered what experiences people have of working for this company?

I just want to make a little bit of extra cash around being a full time mum. It would be nice not to have to rely on Housing Benefit (currently around £200 a month).

I am very nervous about starting it as it has to be run as your own business and also you have to make £500 of sales in the first 2 months. I worry that I don't have enough friends to get the sales.

They have an offer at the moment:

Be an Xmas consultant - buy the Xmas kit for £60 + £25 public liability insurance
Make £500 of sales in first 2 months or have to pay them £100 to keep the kit.
You then get the opportunity to become a full consultant and buy the full kit for £60 (normally £120)
Both of these kits are worth £300 each if sold at full retail price.

I had a VV party in the summer as a hostess and only made £80 worth of sales.

What do you think? Is it worth it?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    My mate's ex-wife does it and she risen to a managerial post in under 18 months. She seems to enjoy it. I dont know how much she makes though!
  • SSB
    SSB Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi EmmaLou
    Sounds tempting but it will be a lot of work to make it worth while. The difficulty starts when you run out of friends to sell to and need to expand. Will you be able to advertise, organise parties, get your name/business known to people in your area? Furthermore, can you find out how many people are already doing it in your location?
    SSB :D
  • Hi EmmaLou,

It sounds a llittle more risky than other things - you do have to pay out initially and if sales are bad that could be awkward.

also with your housing benefit its constant now - but you will have to declare any income - so you may find that you are worse off. ie if you have good sales up to xmas they may reduce your hb but then sales may be bad later but they'll assume it will be constant, its hard to keep getting your hb adjusted.

just some thoughts - dont meant to put you off - just consider your options

good luck with what ever you decide.

pudds ( who doesnt have any friends so couldnt be a virgin vie rep ever lol)
    August 2009 grocery challenge £172.64/,,,,,

no point in doing grocery challenges, have no money left over to eat :0/
  • coral
    coral Posts: 324 Forumite
    My housemate does this and she doesn't do too badly, but it is strictly additional income that she is not relying on, otherwise she would be quite stressed over it. You make 25% of sales at the party, but you do have to buy catalogues and "thankyou" gifts out of that, so you need to get fairly decent sales to make worthwhile.

The stuff is expensive, so you need to have a few friends with decent disposable income to sell too. It is however good quality and large bottles, so its not like you are trying to sell a rip off product. My housemate seems to get bookings from each party she does and is slowly expanding.

The kit is good though for the money, as even if you just get the required sales & then give up, you've got a load of cheap beauty products (that also sell vwell on ebay!!)
  • The idea started when my mum said she wanted to offer make-overs alongside her portrait photography business.

We are going to give the person a make-over using VV products and then offer them for sale to the client. Not sure how much we will make in this way as the business is only just starting up. We have had quite a lot of people interested in having the photos and make-overs done, but obviously this doesn't gaurantee a sale for me and my VV products.

I am considering suggesting to my mum that she actually charges slightly more for her photos and offer a vv product as a gift. I don't think she charges enough for her photos anyway!!
  • Virgin Vie has a good reputation, however it is only a sideline income, as you will tempted to use your income to buy products yourself too remember.

If you have a lot of friends/family then great.
    Lightbulb moment 27-11-06
    Debt at highest £25470.85 _pale_

Currently awaiting CCCS Plan.

Proud to be dealing with my debt!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business