Sofa from DFS!!!

Hi there, just some advice. I have been looking for a leather sofa with manual recliner actions for a little while (3+2) and have been scouring all the shops. I have seen one in DFS that I liked the look of http://www.dfsonline.co.uk/product.php?product_id=1086&collection_id=104

BUT having heard all about the bad reviews of the company decided to try and get a local upholstery company to make the same sofa. However, they have asked for 4000pounds, more than double that of DFS!!!! What do I do???

No way I am going to fork out 4000 but really like that sofa. Do I bite the bullet and go with DFS or not? Will DFS do a discount or anything like that? Any other way of getting that sofa?

Thanks so much for helping me with my dilemma

Comments

• italiastar
    italiastar Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    Have a look a John Lewis and wait for their sale - oops sorry Clearance - it should be in the next month or so.
  • dwhl
    dwhl Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have just had a look at the John Lewis website and they appear to have a very limited number of sofas and none with recliners :(
  • italiastar
    italiastar Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    That's a shame - selection in store may be better, but it's only during clearance that they're affordable. Excellent quality though - ours is 18 years old (non-leather) and has stood up to hard use - 4 kids.
  • Josie_Jump_3
    Josie_Jump_3 Posts: 367 Forumite
    Well here I sit with my wireless laptop sitting on my reclining leather sofa puchased from DFS about 18 months ago. Our sofa is similar in style to the one you have picked out and I can say that we've had no problems at all. We purchased it in a 'sale', four years interest free credit and love it. If thats the one you like go for it, although I would say go and try it out at a showroom and perhaps wait until the bank holiday as they always seem to have some sort of sale on over the holidays.
  • dwhl
    Hi Josie, went to the store today and had a good sit on it and really liked it. They claim that they will not reduce the price of this sofa as it is in their core range and will not budge on the price at all. Is this common practice?

Bank hols is a possibility but they appear to have a sale 365 days of the year!! They are currently having a half price sale on their designer suites but they come up as the same price as all their other suites.....I dread to think who would buy their sofas at full price!!
  • sheep69
    sheep69 Posts: 49 Forumite
    We bought a manual and an auto two seater recliner from DFS 18months ago and can'treally fault it - we shouldn't of fallen for the cleaning package with it though!!

You will not get anything off for paying with cash instead of taking up the 1 year 0% offer - some legal reason
    My Heart is in the Highlands......
  • HLK
    HLK Posts: 978 Forumite
    Try this place..

http://www.reclinerworld.com/specialoffers2.php their special offers don't look bad and they offer 5-15yr warranties dependent on which end of the range you are buying from..
    what's the warranty on DFS..?
    HLK

"Karma - it's a wonderful thing" - Just ask Earl!
  • dwhl
    Hi thanks for that, had a browse through and call me picky but still prefer the style of the DFS suite, am I destined to buy from that place????

Oh, by the way, the DFS guarantee is 2 years. The salesperson proudly stated that is twice the industry standard of one year. They then proceeded to try and sell me the scotchguard protection, a total of 145pounds for a 3 + 2 seater!!

Has anyone had good experiences from DFS before? I would like to get a feeling as to whether the general consensus is good or bad before I take the plunge because at the moment the vibes that I am getting from DFS are bad.
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    We were going to buy a sofa from DFS. However, whilst we were in the throws of going round every single furniture retailer (that sells sofas) we found one we liked better. If this is the sofa that you like, and it is within the budget that you have set for yourself then go for it. Just make sure that you've looked at all the alternatives before you go ahead and make the purchase.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • Sheel
    Sheel Posts: 45,671 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    dwhl wrote:
    Has anyone had good experiences from DFS before? I would like to get a feeling as to whether the general consensus is good or bad before I take the plunge because at the moment the vibes that I am getting from DFS are bad.

I'm still happy with the leather sofa I got from DFS a few years ago
    Same old same old since 2008

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family