Does anyone know the correct tiffany & co hallmarks?

Hi guys,

I have purchased some Tiffany & Co white gold diamond earrings on Ebay. After the auction I have become aware that a lot of fake Tiffany jewellery is sold on Ebay and now I'm concerned that the item I have purchased isn't real.

I contacted the seller to ask what the hallmark/stamp on the earrings is and they have responded saying- tiffany & co 725. Does anyone know if this the correct hallmark? I thought that this was the stamp tiffany use for silver not white gold?

I haven't actually paid yet, I was just about to when something made me do a quick google search and I became concerned that the earrings might be fake. I have tried looking on the tiffany website but these particular earrings mustn't be current stock as they aren't on there.
Any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated. :beer:
Debt at 1/5/09 £21,996 _pale_
Current debt- 0 :j Final payment made October 2012. :D

Comments

• vickypark3
    vickypark3 Posts: 101 Forumite
    edited 24 January 2010 at 6:02PM
    Tiffany silver items have 925

looking on the Tiffany website there is a pair of earrings offered in 18k white gold with a 750 stamp

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Times New I2]18K Gold: 18K Gold is 18/24ths, or three-quarters pure gold. Jewelry of this fineness is marked "18k" or "750," meaning 75 percent gold.[/FONT]

If seller is saying that it is 725 looks like they are not selling genuine Tiffany.

TBO if you are buying the item from ebay there is a very high chance that the items are fake and are likely plated with either silver or gold which will scratch off when tested.

What is the sellers feedback like?

Are they selling several Tiffany items?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Taken from the Assay Office site and publications
    The following finenesses are permitted in the UK:
    Gold: 999, 990, 916, 750, 585, 375
    Silver: 999, 958, 925, 800
    Platinum: 999, 950, 900, 850
    Palladium: 999, 950, 500
    Various links from here to find out more
  • vickypark3 wrote: »
    Tiffany silver items have 925

What is the sellers feedback like?

Are they selling several Tiffany items?

The seller hasn't sold many items but has 100% feedback, this is the only tiffany item they are selling.

Thanks to both of you for the info, it does indeed look like they are fake if 725 isn't even a valid hallmark. I'd much rather have an unpaid item strike than end up hundreds out of pocket. :D
  • Although the time to be aware that a lot of fake Tiffany is sold on ebay is before you place a bid, you could try reporting the listing as being counterfeit goods. Use the report link on the item page

If ebay remove the listing (although as it is already ended there is less chance that they will) the transaction would be void.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Have you looked to see what seller has bought recently? Maybe trying to offload a fake they purchased?

If its from ebay though I'd be amazed if it wasn't fake!
    http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Detecting-FAKE-Tiffany-amp-co-jewellery_W0QQugidZ10000000006796515
  • PinheadSK
    PinheadSK Posts: 230 Forumite
    edited 24 January 2010 at 7:07PM
    Can I be rude and ask roughly what you paid for them?

If you can give any details of the model of earring then I may be able to look them up as my wife is a Tiffany addict and has back catelogues all over the place! :(

If you're happy too, can you PM me the item number.

Sean

PS... Tiffany SILVER is likely to be marked 925...
    My wife is a DFW... I guess that means I'm along for the ride! :j
    Taking part in the 2011 £365 (plus shrapnel) in 365 days challenge - total to date = £824 plus some shrapnel!
  • PinheadSK
    PinheadSK Posts: 230 Forumite
    edited 24 January 2010 at 8:21PM
    PM replied to!

The 99p start worries me a little... that's quite a risk to take if they are genuine...
    My wife is a DFW... I guess that means I'm along for the ride! :j
    Taking part in the 2011 £365 (plus shrapnel) in 365 days challenge - total to date = £824 plus some shrapnel!
  • Thanks for your help Sean. There was a £200 reserve on them but I agree that's still probably too low really for genuine white gold tiffany.
  • I was in a simliar situation with a charm bracelet, since then ive been watching ebay and researching the items closely. Sadly people seem to believe that they can buy genuine high-end branded jewellery from a market stall (it must be genuine if it comes with a bag, right ??) and then sell that on without taking any responsibilty over whether its a counterfeit or not !!

mishka
    Bow Ties ARE cool :cool:

"Just because you are offended, doesnt mean you are right" Ricky Gervais :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills