will an O2 phone accept a tesco sim card

hi i have an o2 phone, will it accept an tesco sim card as im thinking about getting the £10 sim deal on a monthly contract.

i did search this but i found old info and i just wanted to do a get the latest info before taking the plunge .:j

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, it will work fine, even if the phone happens to be locked to O2

so would other virtual brands on O2, such as giffgaff
  • O2 phones are generally unlocked and usually accept any sim unless its the iphone.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Do Tesco piggyback on O2 then? I genuinely didn't know - who else is "virtual O2" please?

Does that mean I can buy a Tesco phone and put an O2 payg SIM in it?
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • I've just got the £10 deal with Tesco as my contract with orange has just finished.
    I've been looking round for a new phone because I presume my new Tesco sim wont work in my orange phone. I can't find a reasonably priced phone that I like on the Tesco website, so reading the above, does it mean that I could get an O2 phone?? :o

Thanks for any help xx
  • Do Tesco piggyback on O2 then? I genuinely didn't know - who else is "virtual O2" please?

Does that mean I can buy a Tesco phone and put an O2 payg SIM in it?
    yes they do but o2 sims dont work in a tesco phone unless you get it unlocked.
    pink-lady wrote: »
    I've just got the £10 deal with Tesco as my contract with orange has just finished.
    I've been looking round for a new phone because I presume my new Tesco sim wont work in my orange phone. I can't find a reasonably priced phone that I like on the Tesco website, so reading the above, does it mean that I could get an O2 phone?? :o

Thanks for any help xx
    yes you could get an o2 phone or get any phone you like and get it unlocked for £5 :D
    redux wrote: »
    Yes, it will work fine, even if the phone happens to be locked to O2

so would other virtual brands on O2, such as giffgaff

thanks redux thats great to hear thanks for your help ;)
  • O2 phones are generally unlocked and usually accept any sim unless its the iphone.

first i have heard that, i have had many o2 phones and they were always locked.
  • first i have heard that, i have had many o2 phones and they were always locked.

Sorry i mean any phone taken via a contract as all the ones i have had for the past few years have all been unlocked.PAYG maybe locked though.
  • natnhay
    natnhay Posts: 384 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2010 at 1:36PM
    Hi my daughter has an orange sim only contract simcard will this work in a o2 blackberry phone without having it unlocked.(purchased o2 blackberry because she wanted the purle colour) I dont really want to get it unlocked as surely it voids the warranty.
    The blackberry is payg.
  • natnhay wrote: »
    The blackberry is payg.

If it came from Carphone Warehouse it will more than likely be unlocked, if not, it will be locked.....Only about a tenner to unlock though, and can be done via a code online.
  • natnhay
    natnhay Posts: 384 Forumite
    watcherman wrote: »
    If it came from Carphone Warehouse it will more than likely be unlocked, if not, it will be locked.....Only about a tenner to unlock though, and can be done via a code online.

how do i get it unlocked on line and is it simple to do. I didnt purchase it from carphone warehouse.Many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure