Amazon Discount Finder Discussion

MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 12 September 2023 at 4:34PM in All shopped out!
articlealert2_banner.gif

Our Amazon Discount Finder manipulates Amazon web-links to create customised bargain basement pages. Just select the percent off the list price & the category you want, eg, TVs 30%+ off or DVDs 90%+ off.

We would love to hear any feedback on the answers it gives, any new categories you'd like added and other suggestions. It would also be fab if you could add any top Amazon discount links you find and other Amazon buying tips that we haven't included in the guide below the tool.

Thanks!

Jenny

Comments

• Jake_the_Spike
    Jake_the_Spike Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 30 November 2011 at 11:36AM
    I was testing the new-look Amazon Discount Finder and was disappointed to find no department for Musical Instruments (Amazon does have one) and/or Amplifiers. Any chance of this being rectified?
  • MSE_Jenny
    I was testing the new-look Amazon Discount Finder and was disappointed to find no department for Musical Instruments (Amazon does have one) and/or Amplifiers. Any chance of this being rectified?

Hi Jake the Spike,

Thanks very much for your feedback - we've now added a musical instruments category. :)
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hmm, it doesn't seem any better than the old one (i.e. it's of very little use at all).

I tried to find Kitchen items at 50% off or better:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/rh=n:392546011,p_8:50-100,p_76:1-&sort=price&low-price=min&high-price=max
    I selected free delivery and here's the sort of thing I find:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lets-Make-Childrens-Silicone-Patterned/dp/B003MVZ5H2

Cow-patterened balloon whisk, reduced from £4.99 to £4.83.
    How is that 50% off? Oh, a marketplace seller has it for 16p + £4.59 shipping. Well that's not very useful is it?

The 90% DVD link is even worse:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Force-DVD-Will-Arnett/dp/B002LL169A

G-Force, £4.50, well that's not 90% off, I don't believe it costs £45.
    32 new from £3.50? Nope, £35 is still far too much.
    20 used from 1p? Ah, that's it. USED products. Not really great for Christmas presents is it.

Just seems like an excuse to spam MSE's affiliate link during peak shopping season without actually adding any value to me.

A better, more flexible, way to do this is directly through Amazon.

Here's how:

Go to Amazon, search for what you are looking for, e.g., 'tv'

Then, in the address bar at the top, you will see that it says something like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tv&x=0&y=0

If you then copy this:

&pct-off=50-99

after the address, and press enter or click go, it will filter to only show items that are reduced by 50% or more (obviously you can change the number 50 to any other discount you like).

Example:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tv&x=0&y=0&pct-off=50-99

This works anywhere, for example if you are just browsing the site and go to the 'Kitchen and Home' section, then click on 'Casseroles', paste
    &pct-off=50-99

after the URL, it will filter by items supposedly reduced by 50% or more.

Unfortunately whichever way you look at it, the search doesn't work very well because there's no option to only look at Amazon's prices and disregard marketsellers, but that is the better way to do it.

The better way to find Amazon discounts is to click on the 'Amazing Offers' link from their homepage.
    These items will be genuinely reduced.
  • Camorra
    Camorra Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Also, similar to the post above about Musical Instruments. Xmas is a time when people buy Watches as Xmas pressies, but I can't see this category in the Amazon Discount Finder. It has its own category on Amazon which goes beyond the general 'jewellery' category....

Please add it if possible....thanks....
  • JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 296 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I must say I have had a lot of trouble finding any genuine bargains with this tool, amongst all the useless dross.

Also, Amazon are becoming cunning, imho at risk to their good reputation. Example: they published a "Black Friday" "bargain" of a Chambers Dictionary + Chambers crossword dictionary bundle, reduced from £70 to £24.99. Only thing is, although the bundle has never been cheaper, the individual items are available for £20 + £10, so still cheap but not the huge saving it claims to have.. and they claimed the dictionary had a thumb-index but it turns out it does not.

There is no alternative really to actually wanting the item in question, and not finding it cheaper elsewhere - so the generalised "window shopping" approach of the bargains tool is of limited value and more likely to cost money than save it.
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • MSE_Jenny
    Camorra wrote: »
    Also, similar to the post above about Musical Instruments. Xmas is a time when people buy Watches as Xmas pressies, but I can't see this category in the Amazon Discount Finder. It has its own category on Amazon which goes beyond the general 'jewellery' category....

Please add it if possible....thanks....

Thanks, we've now added a watches category.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Maybe just me but I don't see the point.

If I know what I want then I just enter the item into eBay, Amazon, Google or any other search engine. The item will be listed along with all the available prices, sorted by the cheapest first if I want, & I choose the one that I like. Usually the cheapest.

The only other use I can think of would be if, for example, I wanted to buy a Christmas present but couldn't think what to get.

To keep it simple I chose Toys & games prices between £10 & £20 (I know, I'm a tight a***. I spend too much time on this site:D) with the default 50-100% discount range.

The first item - a Wallace & Gromit game -RRP £29.99, Amazon price £22.70. A 24% saving??
    I assume it's including the £10 for a second hand item in the search.

In fact, several of the items on the first page didn't even have an RRP, just a standard price.

But, before I dismiss it completely I'll give it another try

Electronics - Home cinema, TV & Video
    £200-£500 with at least 50% discount....

The first item, a used TV- so hardly comparable against an RRP, which wasn't shown anyway.
    In all 75% of the items on the first page were TV stands & hi-fi cabinets. Many did not show the RRP or discount.

You asked for Amazon buying tips.
    Mine would be to ignore discounts. RRP's and therefore the discounts based on them are not, in my opinion, a reliable guide. Many things probably never get sold at the RRP in the first place.

Better to use the Amazon search tools to find what you're after, then use other search tools to see if it's cheaper elsewhere.

As for the see if it's ever been cheaper - many things have been cheaper in the past. Inflation and other factors have put the prices up. Now if you could tell us if & when prices were going to drop......

You haven't asked for overall opinions so I'll not give one.;)

But like I said - maybe it's just me. If others find it works for them then happy shopping.
  • winnoch
    winnoch Posts: 30 Forumite
    This also seems pointless to me. x% off WHAT anyway? Is it 50% off the last price it was? The list price, The RRP, the SRP the first time it was discounted? If am sceptical about x% off offers in supermarkets, I'm doubly so about Amazon discounts. As already noted above, it far easier to just search for the best prices online the normal way rather than this rigmarole. Plus I'm more than certain that Amazon will be onto this and using to their advantage somehow...
  • VoucherMan wrote: »

As for the see if it's ever been cheaper - many things have been cheaper in the past. Inflation and other factors have put the prices up. Now if you could tell us if & when prices were going to drop......

I had the same thoughts when using the Amazon Discount Finder, I liked the idea but wanted more, to be the first to find out when prices drop and see if I am really getting a good deal, so I decided to create a free to use website that checks Amazon products every hour to track prices and find real price reductions.

You can get notified when prices drop and also hopefully, by being able to view price tracking history, be able to estimate when prices are likely to drop for specific products.

This is the first attempt at the website so improvements are ongoing but suggestions can be made.

bargainsniper.co.uk

There is also a twitter feed:

@Bargainsniperuk
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Still being mentioned in the weekly email so I thought I'd look for a 75% bargain.

I found one :j
    Agfaphoto Optima 104 Digital Camera

Reduced from £1147.99 to £192 - an 83% discount.

A quick search however found this elsewhere at £99.95 :(

Sorry but I still think this has to be one of the worst ways to find a bargain.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback