PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Smelly Cat Pee Trainers

Comments

• myrnahaz
    myrnahaz Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    I always used to put my DS's cat-pee-smelling trainers in the washing machine - I never had a problem with the glue becoming unstuck - I figured that it was better for them to fall apart after a wash (which they never did) than stink the house out. There was more danger of the washing machine falling apart by the time his feet got to size 10.
  • happylion1
    happylion1 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Boots do a footspray in a pump bottle, think its in the natural collection. This applied once should lessen the pong and remove it after second go ( let it dry first). Worked on a fabric car seat.:)
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My son is now 22 and all his trainers ALWAYS smell of cat wee after a few weeks!! He has now left home so it's not my problem anymore! Surprisingly he still gets offended when he comes round, takes his trainers off and I stick them in the garage!! I will now recommend all these helpful tips.
    Slightly bitter
  • calash
    calash Posts: 3,566 Forumite
    I won, I won, I won!
    I've got this problem with my sons Nike's absolutely disgusting!! nothing I do gets rid of the smell :-(
  • My son's Nike boots can stink though his trainers are not so bad. I leave them out to "air". I have tried odour eaters spray but haven't found it works very well. I tried tea tree oil, a few drops of 2 cotton wool pads. I wipe/ rub this on the inside of the boots and leave the cotton wool in overnight. The first time I did this it made a big difference. I'm not keen on the smell of tea tree oil but it is the far more preferable option of the two! Last time I did it I forgot to take the cottonwood out, my son didn't notice but did comment at the end of training that his boots weren't fitting very well....
    Due to be MF [STRIKE] Jan 2033[/STRIKE] Aug 2032.
    MF goal 2028, Ideal MF goal May 2025
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    I had this with my work trainers. In the end, they disintegrated due to water damage; but I was adamant one of my cats had peed on them. They probably hadn't and it was due to the trainers getting wet all the time. These weren't Nike, just cheapo pair .... funnily enough have never ever experienced it with Nike ones.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Neat alcohol is great for getting rid of smells like cat pee, sick, spilled milk, and so on. I use cheap vodka and keep it in a spray bottle. The alcohol eats the enzymes that cause the smell. The vodka itself doesn't leave a lingering smell, either.
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • gsymoo
    gsymoo Posts: 133 Forumite
    my OH does alot of running so I have very smelly running gear to clean. No matter what you wash it in, nothing shifts it (and you can't put it in a 90c wash!) so I soak the items in Milton for 15 mins then wash as normal. This also works on shinpads.

It might be worth soaking the trainers in Milton solution then washing. At least you'd know they're sterile!
  • calash
    calash Posts: 3,566 Forumite
    I won, I won, I won!
    Adidas football boots have the same problem! They stink!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Steeping over night in a mix of vinegar and water helps - don't rinse them just air dry afterwards. Works for both actual pee and "boy" smell LOL.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure