PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest way to buy chicken

Comments

• Makro if you know anyone with a card bag of 5kg breasts roughly 20-24 for £19 :)
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Just out of curiosity, why does your daughter being intolerant to milk mean you use a lot of chicken? No kids here yet so don't understand :)
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 25 September 2012 at 5:41PM
    Yes, I was wondering that as well. What has buying chicken has to do with milk protein intolerance? My DD used to get patches of eczema if she drank cows milk. I breast fed her up till 15 months but there's also soya based formulas, and after they're off breast or formula there's plenty of soya milk products in the supermarket. It's not just the protein you have to make up if your child isn't drinking normal milks, you have to be really careful to supply calcium and the fat soluble vitamins she'd normally get from milk too. A good non-milk follow on formula would provide all that.
    Val.
  • valk_scot wrote: »
    Yes, I was wondering that as well. What has buying chicken has to do with milk protein intolerance? My DD used to get patches of eczema if she drank cows milk. I breast fed her up till 15 months but there's also soya based formulas, and after they're off breast or formula there's plenty of soya milk products in the supermarket. It's not just the protein you have to make up if your child isn't drinking normal milks, you have to be really careful to supply calcium and the fat soluble vitamins she'd normally get from milk too. A good non-milk follow on formula would provide all that.

Sorry I didnt make it very clear but we eat a lot of chicken anyway as that is mainly only meat my husband likes :D but as my daugther has a limited diet due to her being milk intolerant I do try to make a lot of meat, potato and veg based meals for us all . She is on a prescribed milk at the moment (nutramigen aa) as we have had to be very careful on not overloading her with soya products also. She has had a small amount of soya milk on her cereal from 6 months. Normal soya milk isnt recommended as a drinking milk until 2 years+ but she may be able to have alpro junior from 1 year old if she can tolerate (or she can continue on soya formula). She is under a dietician and so we have support but have only within the past couple of days been able to start introducing a soya formula. She will likely have to be on this now til well after 1 year old and we cant attempt to reintroduce cows milk products as she is still intolerant of them until she is 18 months old. There isnt a soya follow on milk, it is just soya formula which says suitable from birth (but in fact isnt recommended til 6 months+) so she is just on that. Infasoy by cow and gate. We are also going to be starting her on some vitamin (inc calcium needed) drops as she is rejecting her prescription milk more now also. I requested these within the past couple of days as there was no mention from dietician or HV about these. Apparantly the prescription milk does have pretty much all a baby needs and then combined with diet from 6 months. I didnt mean to come across that I just feed her on chicken, she does have a very good varied diet. Lol.
    July 2013 wins: Lilac Skoot, Night out for 2 at Nandos & Cineworld
    Best wins so far: £500, GHD styler, Tassimo T40 Machine
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    maman wrote: »
    Like spike, I buy this

005998.jpg

from Sainsbury's. It works at about £1.60 per kg which is about as cheap as it gets. I mostly use the pieces for casseroles but there are sometimes some huge pieces which will make a small roast for two with lashings of veg and gravy.

I normally have a good root around & cop a good :pfeel of the bags before I decide on the one...
  • Don't know if this is at all relevant or helpful to you, but is there a meat processing factory any where near you?
    The one near me is for chickens and has a shop open afternoons at the end of the week. You can get really large chickens for £2-£3 each, but also often lots of other meat - sausages, bacon, whole joints of pork and beef, which has come from other factories, often frozen, but sometimes just chilled. It's fine, I understand it's caused by their orders from supermarkets being shorter than they anticipated.

I buy 3 or 4 whole chickens a month, joint them and stock up my freezer.

I was just thinking the other products must come from factories somewhere and that maybe they would also have a bigger range of products than you would expect.
  • The Farmfoods frozen 1.7kg chickens are on at 3 for £10 at the mo, seeing as OP uses that store. ;)
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Tesco F/R chickens were half price this morning.
  • Justa q ucik Hello from another Mum with a DD with CMPI and allergy to Soya. It can be a mindfield to find foods suitabel cannot it. DD is also on Nutraimgen. For us its fresh fresh fresh all the way. If you ever fancy a chat feel free to message me
    Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
    Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!
  • Justa q ucik Hello from another Mum with a DD with CMPI and allergy to Soya. It can be a mindfield to find foods suitabel cannot it. DD is also on Nutraimgen. For us its fresh fresh fresh all the way. If you ever fancy a chat feel free to message me

Thanks!!! We are lucky in that lo seems OK with Soya products but at the same time we dont want to overload her with soya! :) I deffo try to make as much as I can from scratch at the same time when I am working I find it difficult to get in and make something for dinner as we try to eat by 7 at the latest. Lol. I do try to give her varied so we arent eating the same meal over and over again. And as we are on a strict budget I do find it can be very epensive to tend to buy mostly frozen veggies. How vile is nutramigen!!! Poor things having to drink it, it almost made me sick! Lol.
    July 2013 wins: Lilac Skoot, Night out for 2 at Nandos & Cineworld
    Best wins so far: £500, GHD styler, Tassimo T40 Machine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family