Discrepancy on my credit report

Majestic
Majestic Posts: 89 Forumite
edited 8 March 2012 at 3:58AM in Debt-free wannabe
I was wondering if someone with knowledge on the thread title could read this request for an amendment on my credit file I recently sent to Experian, whether there's a chance of a succesful response and if low, what possibly could be my next course of action.

The request is genuine, but of course I would imagine Experian would require further evidence.
Hi, I recently browsed my credit report (Ref: 123456) and have a found a slight discrepancy.

On my credit file I have two defaults. Both these agreements, a credit card & loan, were taken out with a high street bank during the same week, on the 21st and 26th of September 2005 (precisely), which my credit report quite rightly points out.

Unfortuantley, I defaulted on both agreements due to job loss in the following June of 2006. Yet this is only reflective on one of the defaulted accounts listed.

It seems that these debts were sold to two debt collention agencies, and that whilst one DCA is correct in saying that I defaulted in June 2006 (CapQuest) the other (ArrowGlobal LTD) has listed me defaulting in the same week but over a year after the actual default date.

This latter infomation is incorrect, as both the credit card & loan defaulted at exactly the same time in 2006. This is evident by looking at my credit report and seeing the date of both defaults are within a few days of each other.

I understand that defaults stay on your report for 6 years, but this slight error is not only disheartening but sees the default on my file for nearly 7½ years!

Please could this mistake from the ArrowGlobal credit agreement on my file be rectified, and listed on its actual occurance during 2006.

Regards ...etc

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    ArrowGlobal are notorious for this.

They always seem to alter recorded default dates so that they are when they bought the debt, rather than when the account was actually defaulted.

Experian can dispute the default date with Arrow, but can only alter it if Arrow agree.

So you may in the end have to write and dispute it with Arrow direct, as they may well just tell Experian that it's correct.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Majestic
    Thankyou for the response, Fermi.

Will the fact that I settled the account in full with ArrowGlobal affect their motivation to actually even look at my query, should I have to contact them? Have there been any success stories in having discrepancies like this amended?

Thanks.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    fermi wrote: »
    ArrowGlobal are notorious for this.

They always seem to alter recorded default dates so that they are when they bought the debt, rather than when the account was actually defaulted.

Experian can dispute the default date with Arrow, but can only alter it if Arrow agree.

So you may in the end have to write and dispute it with Arrow direct, as they may well just tell Experian that it's correct.

So Arrow refuse to amend the default date to show the correct information after the error being brought to light.

Where does the OP go to get it sorted then?
  • fermi
    Forumite
    I think some people have managed to get these corrected, although AG are often bloomin stubborn.

If no joy via Experian or by writing to AG direct, then it would be a complaint to the ICO and a complaint via the FOS is the original debt is from a financial product that they cover.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• Majestic
    Thanks for the advice, Fermi.

Cheers.
  • fermi
    Forumite
    May help if this isn't out of date by now.

Tim Corcoran
    Legal & Compliance

tcorcoran @ arrowglobal.net

Tel: 0800 1300 165

Fax: 0845 459 4817

and

zlewy @ arrowglobal.net

and of course.

Queries @ arrowglobal.net

Ping those 3 with a strongly worded complaint, and you might get somewhere.

Basis of the complaint would be that they are in breach of the Data Protection Act by recording a false and inaccurate default date.

• Snowedunder
    Snowedunder Posts: 200 Forumite
    Just jumping in here as I have a default from arrow too. I checked paperwork because of the info above which raises a query. Does an Account default on the actual date of the default notice, and is this the date that should be recorded on a CRA file. My NOD is dated on a date in October 2006 and the default is registered as same day, but November 2006 so is this correct or to be corrected?
  • Majestic
    edited 8 March 2012 at 7:10PM
    fermi wrote: »
    May help if this isn't out of date by now.

Tim Corcoran
    Legal & Compliance

tcorcoran @ arrowglobal.net

Tel: 0800 1300 165
    Fax: 0845 459 4817

and

zlewy @ arrowglobal.net

and of course.

Queries @ arrowglobal.net

Ping those 3 with a strongly worded complaint, and you might get somewhere.

Basis of the complaint would be that they are in breach of the Data Protection Act by recording a false and inaccurate default date.

This is extremely helpful infomation fermi, Thankyou.

I'll see what response I recieve from Experian, not that i'm holding my breath but you never know.

Failure on that angle and i'll follow up with the contacts you've given.

Again, thankyou very much for your time.
  • fermi
    Forumite
    Just jumping in here as I have a default from arrow too. I checked paperwork because of the info above which raises a query. Does an Account default on the actual date of the default notice, and is this the date that should be recorded on a CRA file. My NOD is dated on a date in October 2006 and the default is registered as same day, but November 2006 so is this correct or to be corrected?

They usually have to give you just under a month before actually reporting the default to the CRAs, so you in theory have a change to set things straight and avoid that. So the month difference would tally.

Even if not correct, 1 month is probably not worth arguing the toss over.

• Majestic
    Just a quick update, Arrow Global responded to my query via email within a few hours, telling me my account was now under investigation (regarding the listing of a false and inaccurate date) and would respond through letter as the information I had questioned cannot be given by email due to the Data Protection Act.

Which is fair enough.

It'll be a week tommorow since the last correspondence with Arrow, is that the norm? Or shall I chase up my case with a phonecall.

Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport