PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Just bought a whole lamb...

Comments

• hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I mince the cooked meat in the food processor for standard mince.

My local farm shop charge £45 for a half a sheep. They sell cow from an eighth upwards. Can't remember how much and i guess it depends which bit of the cow you want. When we go to Wales there are lots of places that do half a lamb for £25/30 so £45 seems high to me.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Beki
    Beki Posts: 917 Forumite
    I'm thinking about buying half a lamb, or a whole lamb (in a few weeks) to fill the freezer - and it also means we wouldn't even have to think about buying any meat for a LONG time!

Has anyone done this? And does it actually work out more economical?

It seems like a big initial outlay, but i'm thinking that it would probably save money in the long term :think:

Half a lamb is £50 and a whole lamb is £90
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi beki,

I keep thinking about this but haven't managed to empty my freezers enough to do it. :o

There's an earlier thread that should help so I've added your post to it to keep the ideas together.

Pink
  • Beki
    Excellent! Thank you :D
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Strangely enough just ordered 1/2 a pig and 1/2 a lamb for delivery tomorrow.The pig will work out at about £70 and the lamb £40.Meat prices have risen since the last time I ordered but as the lamb is £1.99/lb and the pork £1.79/lb I dont think thats too bad.The pig is the best bit for me as I get loads of lovely pork belly to turn into sausages and also get spare bits minced so I get about 3lb pork mince to make pork pies with mmmm cant wait now:D

Lesleyxx
  • Beki
    Wow that's a great deal! :)

I can't seem to find anyone who does pigs near here!

Thanks for the suet tip :) xxxx
  • I buy a whole lamb from a farmer at the bottom of our road once a year for £90. It takes up two drawers of my freezer but it soon goes. Trouble is, I am left with a neck and breast which I have no idea what to do with and to be honest, doesn't look that appealing. Anyone got any ideas what to do with these cuts?
    Just when I'm about to make ends meet, somebody moves the ends
  • chunky79
    chunky79 Posts: 732 Forumite
    Blooming eck i buy a whole lamb from my mils friend, i had no idea how cheap he was. I haven't bought lamb from a shop in over 7 years so have no idea of the price. I pay between £45 and £56 thats for a whole lamb. i will say this the lamb i get from our friend is far tastier than that i bought in the supermarket.

JIMMO your posts are so interesting, i have to clean now but will be back later to get all the details. I amazed at the knowledge people have on this site xx
    You can touch the dust but please don't write in it !

Would you like to speak to the man in charge, or the woman who knows whats happening?
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Whole breast of lamb can be slow roasted with herbs and garlic underneath, heat oven to max, when you put lamb in turn down to about 140c, will take ages but you can then lift off fat, cool a little and remove meat from bones, or chop into 'riblets' and serve with mint jelly (my favourite), rosemary jelly, curry sauce or any sauce you like...the slow roasting means that fat dissolves and you have crisp skin and tasty meat. I do this with shoulder of lamb too as I find it impossible to carve, I get quite a lot from one shoulder. I would use grease and bones to make stock, which makes wonderful scotch broth, to which you can add any leftover meat...or not if there is none

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • tsharp
    tsharp Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Can anyone give me an idea of how much you can fit in a freezer?

I have a 4 drawer cabinet freezer (waist height type of thing), so I'd like to know how much and what types of animal would fit in it before i consider buying half a lamb or quarter of a pig etc (I assume large quantities of cow are out).

If anyone has experience trying to force carcasses or multiple cuts of meat into a domestic freezer, I'd be grateful to hear.
    "I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure