PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do I prep a honey pomelo?

Just bought a honey pomelo from Lidl (on offer doncha know!) but don't know where to start. Hoping its a giant pear or something similar that will go a long way in a fruit salad. All replies greatly appreciated :confused:

Comments

• misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It's got a soft squishy outer skin and you eat the citrus bits in the middle.

So take a sharp knife and score the outer skin, peel back until you get to the fruit. Then slice the fruit up like you would an orange.

Take care to remove as much of the pith as possible as it is quite bitter.

Yum yum, i haven't had one in ages...
  • Polly wrote: »
    Just bought a honey pomelo from Lidl (on offer doncha know!) but don't know where to start. Hoping its a giant pear or something similar that will go a long way in a fruit salad. All replies greatly appreciated :confused:

I buy pomelo and to me it's just like a huge grapefruit. Cut the fruit segments out and mix with other citrus fruits, pineapple, melon and the like. Delish.
    "Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    - Proverb
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Pomelo is spanish for grapefruit
  • Polly
    Polly Posts: 898
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks to you all - what an education I've just had!!
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yay!! I figured there might be a thread on here:D Lidl had these for £1.49 today and I was tempted. Anyone else tried them. Apparently they are grown in china and are like giant grapefruit.

Will be eating it in a few days, so will give my verdict.
  • everyone seems to be buying from lidl xD i just got myself 1 out of curiosity to and checked here to find out wat it was.. after reading all the comments i expected to find a tiny grapefruit inside but it was actually quite huge 6-7 inches of fruit, neways they are easy to open and the skin around the segments is a little dry and so it peels away very easily leaving u with all of the juicy bit which is pretty tasty.. not as strong flavour as a normal grapefruit its quite mild but still a very good snack to have i could eat these all the time.. shame they arnt usually in supermarkets
  • They're only 39p in Lidl this week :j
  • linden12
    linden12 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 22 December 2010 at 5:43PM
    just brought one was 1 pounds did think it was a melon then thought 1 big lemon now looking here i now know some kind of grapefruit so now i know what i just brought thank you all
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not melon according to this thread - grapefruit!
  • I also bought a honey pomelo yesterday and wondered if was a type of melon.
    I have since discovered it is a member of the grapefruit family so husband cannot eat it as he is on blood pressure tablets and warfarin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure