dilemma with older dog

Options
12346»

Comments

• needsomecash
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words.

It hasnt been easy as his good days / bad days have been virtually the same. After watching him struggle this weekend I do feel now is the best time even if we did not have the holiday coming up, I still think this is the best time.

He could go on longer but it would only be a few months. We do not want him to get as far as not being able to stand and him soiling himself either.

The younger dog (he is more dominant) has attacked him a few times recently as well. (including last night while people were saying their goodbyes to him!!) He has also distanced himself from him a little, they used to cuddle up together but the last few nights he has gone to the other end of the room, so I dont know if this is another sign he is nearer the end.

He has a sausage meal for dinner as he loves them. The kids will give him some fuss this morning, they are then going to go out and unfortunately I can only pop home on my dinner break to let the vet in and put him to sleep.

Thanks again all.
  • loulou123
    loulou123 Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    Options
    Hugs for today, I've been through it myself and know how hard it is, but it does sound like you are doing the best thing.

Some people almost seemed shocked I had my dog put down when I did (he walked to the vets himself and didn't seem too ill) but he'd had terminal cancer for months and I knew he was ready to go, yes I could've kept him going for a few more weeks but I'd have been doing it for me not him.

Hugs x
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope you're ok, OP
  • Jalapee
    Jalapee Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I just wanted to send my love to you, ive just read through the entire post and it sounded very similar to my position 4 weeks ago, in the end it was the best thing for our dog, sending hugs xxxx
  • Sharon140
    Sharon140 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I am thinking of you all today :(

I went through a similar experience last November with my 12 yr old girl it was the hardest decision I have ever had to make :(

. Big hugs to you and your family :kisses3:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport