PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much does a new roof cost?

Hi

Roughly how much does a new roof cost on a house? A tile roof on an average/large 3 bed semi (ex council house)?

It has some tiles missing and a lot of moss on the side that does not get the sun, also some woodworm on some beams which we've been advised some parts of them would need replacing. The advice came via a structural engineer who's read the full survey (but not seen the house).

Thank you

Comments

• Ps would you buy a house that needed this sort of work? By some tiles missing on the roof, I mean about 5.
  • Our roof was completely replaced in 2006 for approx £3,500 (from memory). 2-bedroom bungalow, roof had to be replaced because it was asbestos tiles. The work also included some extra roof joists because modern concrete tiles are heavier, also a liner.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Thansk - that's very cheap. I was told £20,000 as a quote for a smaller 3 bed house from a friend.
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    It depends on many things, including how big the roof is :confused:

Why don't you get a local roofing company out to give you a quote, and use this proper written quote when negotiating on the price of the house you are thinking of buying.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I had a big old mid-terrace, L shaped. I was given a rough estimate in 2006 that it would cost £5,000 using slate tiles.

The roof had a height of 7' at the Apex.
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    LL had a quote of £10k for a 3 bedroom semi with flat end to be fully retiled. Ended up going for that stuff that is sprayed inside for insulation, had a velux window fitted and they fixed the tiles (they will fix up to 50 times) and replaced the flashing around the chimney for £3,200 I believe. I think there was one company featured on watchdog but the stuff on ours seems to be OK and it was done almost 3 years ago now, I actually go into the loft now and it means we have an attic room with light and hubby put flooring in. perfect 'playroom or games room' for older children who can get up and down the loft ladder.
  • Rooves....NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!:eek:

I have a valley with a leak in it on a 1950's semi....one bloke actually had the gaul to tell me it would be £2000 to reline the valley....once I'd clarified with him I didn't want it lining with platinum, I got one of the kids' dads from school to do it for £500...he told me an ntire new roof would only have been £2500 for the whole house!
    I have had quotes from as little as £450 for that valley up to £6000...yes, £6000 from a bloke who (in his professional opinion!) stood at the bottom of the drive, looked at it and advised me that that was the only way to fix the leak...by paying him £6000!! i think not.

Best advice...find a school from someone who has kids and ask there...someone is bound to be a roofer or know of one who can be trusted, but don't pay ridiculous amounts of cash. For a whole new roof, benchmark yourself at around £2 to £3K basic start price and go up accordingly.
    Alternatively, ring the council and ask if they can recommend anyone...sometimes their contractors do private work and some councils run approved contractor schemes for just this purpose.
    You could also ask on the property maintenance/DIY board?
    Good luck,
    The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself. (Oscar Wilde);)
  • Thanks everyone, these ideas are *much* less than I thought. I like the roof lined in platium idea, lol!

We let the house go because of the roof in the end..... becuase of how much we thought it would cost for a new one.
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have been quoted from £7000 to £17000 for my 3 bed semi to be replaced with spanish tiles which are cheaper. Two quotes at £7K One at 11K,14K and 17K. Wish I lived where the cheaper quotes are:rolleyes:.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • Are you in London or the South East by any chance?

Some people in the South have also told me roofs start from about £3.5 k.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure