Three Vs Tesco

Hello. It's coming to the end of my current 24 month contract and I'm looking to get the Samsung S4. I am currently with Tesco mobile and have experienced no problems in the last 2 years and they have always been helpful. However, the best deal their upgrade team could offer me was 500 mins / 5000 texts / 1gb data for £32.50 p/m (free handset). As I'm looking to use Spotify quite often and enjoy YouTube on the move / train, I feel 1gb data may be insufficient?

Looking elsewhere I have found the S4 on the 3 network, 500 minutes / 5000 texts / unlimited data for £33 p/m (free handset). At first it seemed a no brainer to go with 3, however after checking online I seem to be put off big time simply because of their customer service and all the negative experiences associated with it.

Would 1gb of data be enough for using YouTube / Spotify outside of my wifi zone, or am I better off risking the poor customer service and opting for the unlimited data?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    youtube will eat through that 1gb very quickly.

how often do you actually use it ?

you will hear horror stories about customer servers from all the networks, do you really need to use customer services often ?
  • That's exactly what I was thinking. I shouldn't need to use customer services, I haven't before. Just the horror stories themselves which seem to have put me off.

And it terms of how often I'd use it, it'd be daily. I catch trains weekly where I'll be constantly on my phone, and it helps pass time outside of my house inbetween jobs.

Just to add, it isn't just YouTube I'd be using, i just thought I'd mention that as the most data intensive app I'd be using on the go. I'm constantly using social media but wouldn't have seen that chomping it's way through my data as much.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As smart phones become bigger, and the S4 is pretty big, they tend to get used more for games and internet use than as a traditional mobile phone.

Unfortunately, many phone deals have not kept up with that increased internet use and 1GB per month is barely enough. I get through about 3 or 4 GB each month with an iPhone used for browsing, video playing, email and some tethering to a desktop and laptop (on Three's 30 day SIM only One Plan).

Three customer service (like most I guess) can be annoying, on the good side you can talk to them for free from a Three phone and if all else fails their CEO's office do respond to e-mail and sort problems out. I have used Three on both pay as you go and contract, they have refunded cash for network failures where I couldn't access the internet on a dongle for several days (pay as you go) and given a months free use on a contract when they fouled up a number transfer which left me with a temporary number for nearly a month (30 day SIM only contract).

If you decide to change networks, try and check coverage on the new network in the areas you frequent before changing, especially if you plan on being tied into a 24 month contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure