PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Comments

• greengoblin
    greengoblin Posts: 153 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2012 at 6:27PM
    OK. I don't get it. Several people have mentioned Zapper, but I've put loads of books in and it has rejected about a third of them. I have 25 books they have accepted for a paltry £11.14!!! Is this just bad luck or the norm? :mad::(

Some of the books I'm trying to sell through Amazon instead - one I listed on Zapper and Amazon sold it overnight for a lot more than the 30p Zapper were offering. :)

I wonder if it depends if they are mass market? Like when you put dvds on music magpie and if they're big block busters they're only worth about 30p. And maybe how new they are?
    I think Zapper is useful if you're immensely impatient like I am - You've decided it's got to go and it's got to go NOW (or relatively soon) and can't be doing with listing it on Amazon/E-bay. Money being a bit of a bonus haha.
    I did find it a bit odd that they took some of mine but not others although they were all on similar topics (history/natural history). They're offers for dvds was less than I got on Music magpie but I'd rather it all went in one box and it's all money! :T

edit: best bit of my zapper order was one book was worth £10 and it only cost me £12 new! Wouldn't have got £10 at a car boot for it!
    All that is gold does not glitter
    All those who wander are not lost

:starmod:Recycle ALL the things!:starmod: :p
  • Pudsey, so so sorry to hear of your loss. My youngest boy died shortly after birth last year, it really is the worst, isn't it? I hope it's not too painful for you sorting through all the baby things. He sounds like a well loved, and lovely, little boy x x x

Sending hugs to you both, as I don't have the right words and can't begin to imagine what you both went through.
    Their=belonging to them, There=over there
    Your=belonging to you, You're=short for you are
    The Grammar Fairy
  • PudseyDB
    PudseyDB Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    short_bird wrote: »
    Under the Dome. Bought 30th December 2011, finished last night. If you liked The Stand, you'll probably like it! And it's on Kindle.

BLIMEY you read that quick!!!! I got a kindle for xmas and its great!! :D My eyesight is definately not as good as it was, so I love that I can make the text bigger to read easily while travelling.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    :wave:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • Hi and welcome!

I think most people with little ones like yours struggle to keep on top of things - and with a poorly OH as well you have definitely got your hands full.

Some advice I would chip in with is:

You cant be wonder woman. I am my own worst enemy for wanting a perfect home life but you have got to take shortcuts sometimes. Would you be prepared to compromise on the home baking sometimes to give you a bit more time? Would you be prepared to stick the eldest in front of the telly sometimes while the youngest had a nap giving you an hour or so free? Think about ways you can free up small chunks of time, even if it means letting standards go a little bit.

Have a plan. Make lists of jobs and tick them off. If you have 30 minutes set yourself a challenge to see what you can complete in that time. Tackle small jobs and aim to finish them completely rather than butterflying from one job to another. (I am inclined to do this a lot!). Keep a diary or a notebook and write down things you have achieved to encourage you to keep going as well as reminding you when jobs were done.

Choose one room in the house and work towards keeping this room looking really nice so that when the little ones are in bed you can shut the door and escape.

Think about how much stuff you have and work towards getting rid of some of it if you have too much clutter. The less stuff you have the less untidy the house becomes and the easier it is to clean. I know how much stuff little people need but try and be ruthless. I have massively downsized the amount of clothes my kids have for example which has reduced washing and ironing as well as making more space in their cupboards.

Dont be too proud to ask for help if there is anyone you trust who would pitch in. If you were my friend I would be more than happy to come round and help you declutter or just look after the kids so you could go out for an hour.

Good luck. It will get easier as the kids get older. There is loads of good advice on here, and as Frugal says, get yourself round to the Messy thread. You will find you are not on your own!
  • furball
    furball Posts: 435 Forumite
    I think you are making the same mistake that a lot of us do and i definately did, that's looking at the big picture DON'T. As they say on here it took months/years to get like this so why think it can be sorted in days/weeks/months. One step at a time. Just keep up with the one step you have done and it will get better. My tips, i don't iron, i just fold or hang up, my wardrobes are packed so things need ironing when they come out even if they have been ironed before they went in there. DECLUTTER yep i shouted that for a reason, be ruthless, if u haven't used or worn it in a year then you aren't going to (apart from sentimental things) so get rid, give it away or charity shop it, or ebay it . This goes for drawers or cupboards or clothes. Get bills sent by email and bin junk mail the minute it comes through the door. Sort out cups without lids and bin them also all baby stuff thats too little, if its in a washing mountain bin it, or if clean charity it. One of the best rules was don't put it down put it away, that helps.
    Can a friend take your 2 to mums and toddlers one week and you take hers the week after. Parents/family/friends babysitting just one afternoon or morning so you feel you have got some you time. Oops sorry for rambling.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. – Hilary Cooper
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I can only repeat what everyone else has said. Wipe round kitchen and bathroom before you go to bed. Make beds as soon as poss after you get out of them. Clean in 15 minute bursts, (I use my trusty kitchen timer), and [EMAIL="DON@T"]DON'T[/EMAIL] STRESS. My only other tip is boxes and baskets. Have them in every room and toss things into them that are waiting to be dealt with, toys, clothes, papers and magazines, cleaning stuff, mail, etc. This keeps a room fairly tidy looking and then it is a matter of seconds to flick a feather duster round or a damp cloth if appropriate, plump up cushions and vac round the middle of the room, voila! housework done.
    Just remember, good enough is GOOD ENOUGH.
    Enjoy your children, they will remember the fun you had with them, not your shiny floors.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Thanks Greengoblin and Byatt. I've managed to find 30 books/DVDs that Zapper will accept and will get £16.20 if they accept everything ....
    Have arranged for a courier to collect them Tuesday. Fingers crossed. I've never used Zapper before. It seems really convenient...

As you said Green, impatience! And maybe less greed on my part!! There is only so much clutter I can keep in the house for this mega car boot sale I'll do in the spring. And only so many books I can list on Amazon. Some of the infamous 1p books are going to the CS at the weekend I think.
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    26. One A4 folder which contained my portfolio for college to my tutpr for final assessment. Now that's out of the way I can get back on the mission. No work or college tomorrow so hope to get a fair bit done.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Ditch 100 in January challenge
    34/100
    29. King size mattress gone on Freecycle
    30. King Size topper gone on freecycle (they're big, I'm definitely counting them separately, LOL!)
    31. 3 books given to school
    32. 27 more CDs for Music Magpie
    33. Big bag of rubbish and tat picked up from around the house (where does it come from?!)
    34. Old playdough which had gone hard, in bin
  • - Bag of charity shop bits (going to drop in tomorrow)
    - Massive bag of hangers to tip
    - Shoes and Zippo to list on e-bay

Slooooooooow day :/
    All that is gold does not glitter
    All those who wander are not lost

:starmod:Recycle ALL the things!:starmod: :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income