The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Minimum size shower room/help with layout

Hi all

We are trying to fit a shower room in a room that is 2.4m by 0.9m (or 8' by 3' in old money :) ) with an outward-opening door on the long wall, so it would be a 0.9m/3' square shower one end then loo on short wall at other end, then need a teeny sink.

Anyone got a room like that? Is it reasonable usable/not too cramped?

We could make shower smaller but wanted a large one if poss. Not sure on door type - pivot or bifold I guess.

We wondered about making it a wetroom instead as more roomy but prob cost a lot more, not sure if it's worth it.

Be interested to hear all your thoughts...

Cheers
Alex

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    This sounds like our ensuite.

We have the shower at one end with a door that pivots open, a loo at the other (window) end and a handbasin halfway between the two opposite the door.

Next to the loo (on the same wall as the sink) we have a radiator/towel warmer and above the radiator we have two glass shelves for storage.

It's small but does the job.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • louisdog
    louisdog Posts: 249 Forumite
    Thanks pimento that's great to hear.

I keep thinking it will work fine and trying to imagine it all but it's nice to hear from someone who knows for sure that it works :)
  • goggle
    goggle Posts: 442 Forumite
    my mate had one of those size ensuites too - shower at one end, toilet the other & basin in the middle. The door to the ensuite opened outwards to maximise space inside (eg the basin could be a little larger as you didn't have to worry about it getting hit by the door)
    Just ensure it's actually useable - don't put a teeny basin in that you can't actually wash your hands/face in!!
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,094
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    For many new builds this is a standard size ensuite. There is more space than you realise!
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    We've been thinking about carving off 3ft of a 17ft room to do this so its nice to know it works. We've got slightly more room to play with however as the original room is 12ft wide so we'd have an ensuite of 12ft by 3ft. As there is no window in there we are considering sun tubes in the roof to bring natural light in. That said the whole thing is on hold as we don't have any cash!
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • louisdog
    Should be nice and large. Are you not tempted to take a corner out instead though?

We are considering lightpipes in another one of our rooms, not sure how it will work out though as the pipes would be long and the top bit facing North :-/

We are creating ours by sectioning off part of an existing room, so it could be slightly wider than 90cm, but I was hoping to get away with 90cm if I can.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just been up to measure and my ensuite is 8'6" x 2'10". I'd admit there's no room for us both to shower at once ;) but it's plenty big enough for my oblutions.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    louisdog wrote: »
    Should be nice and large. Are you not tempted to take a corner out instead though?

We are considering lightpipes in another one of our rooms, not sure how it will work out though as the pipes would be long and the top bit facing North :-/

We are creating ours by sectioning off part of an existing room, so it could be slightly wider than 90cm, but I was hoping to get away with 90cm if I can.

Not a corner but if we can overcome the fact that there is a chimney breast 6ft along the wall on the side nearest the existing bathroom (so logical for piping etc, then what we'd really like to do is have the ensuite on that side, and still carve off the rest of the end as a walk in dressing area/wardrobe. We keep playing with the dimensions and keep concluding it can't be done so revert to the room width plan. However as I said we are someway from actually doing it so might see if a professional bathroom planner or even our architect friend can help us make it fit how we really want it.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • louisdog
    Sounds really nice, keep playing around with it and hopefully it will work!

We did go and see a professional bathroom planner for our other bathroom and the design they came up with was really good, and something we had not considered at all, so that was worthwhile too.

Anyway good luck with it and hope you end up doing it at some point :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure